• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Broadband prices dropping around the world, but not US

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Not falling in Australia either. Well I did move from 512k downloads to 1.5Mbit downloads for the same price in the last 3 years. That's like really bad to only moderately bad. The US is not the only country feeling the sting of high bandwidth prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I never understood what is behind there business model if made affordable more people will sign up. The hardware is already in place why not lower the price and get more customers on board increasing the profits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Prices aren't going down in Belgium either.
It is all a matter of " Demand and Supply ".
As long as the people in Belgium keep demanding new internet connections, prices will not drop.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, this may be a stretch but...

Last week our Cable provider/ISP provider sent us a letter in the mail saying they would give us a $100USD check if we locked in our current price plan for the next 24 months. Basically the same sort of deal most mobile providers give you when you start a new contract.

I looked at it and thought this was a sign that their offerings were going to get better/cheaper/faster (whatever) and they were trying to entice people into being stuck with the more expensive and slower/lamer plans for 2 more years. So I threw it away. I hope I'm right and they speed up their fiberoptic network and deliver some faster connection speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
We got a similar deal through Cox Communications. If we locked in a 2 year deal, they would give us a $100 gift card, and get their internet, telephone, and cable tv with free hd. The only problem is that their internet deal is slower than what I have right now, and mine is slow...even at 6mbps. Also, there are so many penalties attached to that deal.

This is the only time you will hear me demanding a service from verizon. I want their fios SO badly. The only two companies that offer service in my area are att and cox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well the8thark personally went from your 1.5Mbit to ADSL2+, up to 20Mbit depending on locality etc., for the same price so it must be cheaper. Fifteen years ago slow old dial up averaged $30pm Australia wide

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Not falling in Australia either.

Have to disagree with this one ...... I believe they are here now FINALLY .....

Its because of things like the iPad coming in and Telstra has had to compete with the others now.
When i joined iiNet 3 mnths ago i actually hit there new pricing structure as when i signed and was to be connected they sent me email asking if i would like to review what package i have as they just changed the prices ...

And for the better as well.
With this competition here now i think we will see the prices drop and the Bandwidth increase

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
This is the only time you will hear me demanding a service from verizon. I want their fios SO badly. The only two companies that offer service in my area are att and cox.

DON'T DO EET! Seriously, I had FiOS lust like you, made the switch from comcast and it was terrible! Speed was unparalleled, but the service was down for long amounts of time (in the month I was with them it went down at least once a week), and I had to have them replace my router within the first week (and they made me wait three days for a tech to come and look at it while I was out of internet). They lied about the pricing and the billing (told me $70 per month with phone and internet, and no fees, taxes, or installation costs, yet sent my first bill as $250!) Their customer service was terrible too! /rant

Now, back on topic: there is too much demand. Dial-up is insufficient for today's internet, and most people are moving to high speed. There's very few competitors in most markets, and so nobody is demanding lower prices. As long as this is the case, prices will remain right where they are. Nobody is going to lower profit margins to gain more users, when people are already moving that way, anyway, regardless of the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I have Cox and I love it. My speed is super fast (I have the 50/5 tier). They don't even offer a 6mb tier so I'm not sure which one you have, but it's pretty easy to upgrade and not that expensive. They're also going to be have big increases in upload speed in 2011 once they start Docsis 3.0 upload channel bonding.

High Speed Internet Services, Broadband ISP serving Cleveland | Cox Communications

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.