OSX update help required

Reaction score
Hey all, I have purchased an ex-business iMac (G4 20") and i absolutely love it. It has OSX 10.3.8 running quite happily. But, after reading on a few websites, I understand that it could run up to OSX 10.5.8. Is there any procedure to go through in order for me to update, or can i just get OSX 10.5.8 to run without the intermediate issues (10.3.9, 10.4 etc. etc.)? ANY help would be most appreciated.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The biggest issue is going to be trying to find a retail (black) version of Leopard at a decent price. Since it's the last version of OS X that's compatible with PPC machines, the demand is high and availability is limited. Be prepared to pay a premium price.

Other than that, you should have no problem updating. Max out the G4 memory if you can and make a backup of everything before you install Leopard.

OP
Reaction score
Mmm

excellent news (apart from the old money bit!)
i just ordered some RAM boards (by mistake may i add (oops!))

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.