CCC for backup.... need a backup plan

Reaction score
Hi guys

Im just about to install mac box snow leopard onto my macbook pro.

Ive found ccc and it looks pretty good. One thing is I have an external hard drive which is 500gb with loads of files on it.

I want to use this as my backup drive for my mac stuff but in doing so will it wipe all that's on there already...? I hope not.

Is CCC easy to use and does it really work...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes CCC does work and work well. I dont use CCC i like the paid .v of SuperDuper. If CCC is anything like SD then it will ask you all the way if you want to do a certain task. In SD i have options (advance paid part) that can do a full back up, a erase of HD and then Backup or save all files and back up the latest files on the Mac .... Best to open it and find out what it has to offer .... As i said if its like SD then you might have a few options to play around with it :)

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Crrating a bootable backup with CCC or SD! Is going to erase everything on the partition.

If you can't back up your existing data in order to partition the drive, then use Time Machine instead. It will live on a partition with other data.

All 3 of these require a HFS partition. If your current external is not HFS, then you'll not use any of them without reformatting the drive.

OP
Matteo
Reaction score
Cool, Ive just done it on a usb drive.

I was only transferring two programs (propellehead Reason and Record).

The rest of the stuff I dont mind being deleted when I install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard.

The only thing ( as mentioned in another post) is will the backups of these two programs transfer its license keys etc or will I need to transfer some other stuff.

If anyone could advise me what else to backup besides these two just in case, that would be swell.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You need to keep track of your license keys - period - with any software that uses keys.

OP
Matteo
Reaction score
ah ok

Luckily I have them all so it shouldn't be a problem. Just found out that the programs I need can just be installed again and license keys re-entered which for me works out fine as everything else can go

Thanks Bob

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One way to keep track of those keys and passwords: until you break down and get 1Password (or I hear Roboform is now available) is to use your Keychain. Open it up, put the shortcut on your menu bar and then create a New Secure Note for all those things you're needing to save.

OP
Matteo
Reaction score
Cool Bob Ill bear that in mind.

By the way ccc is a great program, so easy to use and when I tested it worked perfectly.

Will be at shop door bright and early tommorow to get the Leopard of Snow.
Quite pleased that I don't have to buy the "mac box set" as told to on the apple website, getting Sleopard on its own is quite a bit cheaper...

C

chas_m

Well, yes, all that's true ...

BUT the reason why you might want the Mac Box set anyway is that your iLife suite really should be updated to go along with the move to Snow Leopard, AND if you use iWork that also should be updated. Big improvements in the latest versions. So the MBS isn't really a bad deal at all.

Obviously if you've already bought the latest iLife and/or iWork then nevermind.

OP
Matteo
Reaction score
Cheers

I looked at Ilife but to be honest there is nothing I really want on there.

My mac will strictly be for web design and making music and I have the programs for that.

All the messy stuff will be done on my pc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.