question about Time Machine

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to back up my macbook via Time Machine... I have two external HDs: a 360GB and a 1.5TB that I just bought. My 360GB is filled almost to capacity with files... Should I transfer those files to the 1.5TB and use the 360GB as my backup? Or just use the 1.5TB as the Time Machine backup?

Can I put other files on the HD once its being used as a Time Machine backup?

Thanks!
J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Use the 1.5 TB as the back-up. You can put other files on a TM disk, but you maybe better off partitioning the 1.5 TB drive into 2 partitions to have one TM partition and a separate part for file storage.

You can use Disk Utility to split the external into 2 partitions

OP
D
Reaction score
ah, good idea -- thanks. The truth of the matter is that 90% of the files on my 360GB backup are on my HDD that I'm looking to backup via Time Machine, so it almost seems counter-productive.... gotta play it safe, though...

OP
D
Reaction score
oh, wait -- another question... will Time Machine back up my bootcamp partition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
oh, wait -- another question... will Time Machine back up my bootcamp partition?

No.

If you want to back up files stored in the bootcamp partition, you will need a windows based backup solution.

Looks like you can split the 1.5 TB in 3 partitions :)

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.