iMac Locks up with Gray or Striped Screen

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software problem so I'm posting here first...

I have an IMac Core2 Duo, 2.0GHZ, 3GB RAM machine. I never turn it off, I just let it go to sleep and wake it up by pressing the keyboard when I want to use it. That has been working fine for the past few years.

About 6 weeks ago I started noticing that every once in a while when I bring the machine out of sleep the machine is locked up with a solid gray screen or a gray screen with blue and red vertical stripes. The only way to get out of this is to power the machine off and then back on. Once I do that it works fine for another week or two but then the problem comes back.

I almost think that this all started happening after an Apple software update in October 2010 but I can't 100% correlate that that. It could just be a coincidence too.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Are there any error logs that might shed some light?

Thanks for any advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Intermittent problems are usually the most difficult to solve. You can try the Apple Hardware Test to see if it finds anything. Usually though, the AHT does not work well for problems such as you're having.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.