Problem PRAM on mbp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core i7
Hi,
I have a big problem with my MBP (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.5.8). Very often (several times a week) et mainly when I start up the machine or take it out of sleep, I can't use my trackpad and keyboard, the pointer is there but I can't move it. If I plug in a usb mouse and keyboard, they work.
If I reset the PRAM, trackpad and keyboards are back again (however I often have to do a couple of restartings before it works, as if the keyboard was not always recognized before the grey screen appears). So it seems to be a problem with the PRAM, but which?? And more importantly, how can I solve this?
Another weird thing is that Norton AV is searching for updates after each PRAM resetting, even if it did update the day before.

Thanks a lot for your help

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Number one recommendation - uninstall Norton and see if your issue goes away.

And use it's uninstaller, don't just drag it to the trash.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interestingly enough, I don't have any uninstaller in my Symantec Solutions folder (Late Breaking News - Live update - Read Me Files - Register your software - Symantec AntiVirus -Symantec Scheduler). I got this program from my former employee and I downloaded it from the intranet...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded a more recent version of Symantec in which I see the folder "RemoveSymantecMacFiles". Should I use that then?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd give it a try. Re-boot after and take a peek at Activity Monitor to see if anything is still running. If so, may need to install the latest version and then uninstall.

The older versions did not package and uninstaller and were a pitr to remove.
Have seen some very strange things affected by Norton, hence recommendation to remove it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It did seem to work, I can't see any Symantec file anymore, and the Activity Monitor doesn't show it either.
Thanks for the help, I hope it works. I will have to wait and see whether the problem occurs again. If yes, then I'll be back, otherwise thanks a lot!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, forgot to mention, the uninstaller wrote that it would uninstall everything except the Symantec Administrator Console, don't know what that is?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.