iMac G5 20" 2ghz pre-iSight repair....

Reaction score
Hi all....

I have installed a cap kit on the motherboard of this G5 iMac, but while I was cleaning up the flux after soldering, I found a blob of solder on a resistor position! The solder blob would have been bigger than the resistor itself, so even though I tried to get the solder off without removing the resistor, I have no resistor. And maybe there just wasn't a resistor there in the first place. I'm just hoping someone's got one of these boards they can flip over and check out for me. It's R3225. It's right next to one of the banks of electrolytic capacitors, and it's there all by itself (if it's there at all, I mean). There are actually four pads there for the resistor to be soldered to, so if there is a resistor there, I need to know which pads it's on in addition to the resistor value. I'm hoping there's just no resistor there at all though....

thanks for reading this!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have the service manual on that machine but not sure it shows that much detail, but I will look and get back to you if I can find that part number on the board.

Some pads are empty that I have seen on some boards.

OP
S
Reaction score
thank you very much! I do see that there are a number of other empty pads on the board, so it's entirely possible there's nothing that goes there. But if you know, that would be great!

thanks again!

WAIT!!! I've just realized that I typed in the wrong number. Stupid numerical dyslexia... It's R3325, not 3225. Very very sorry....

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I should do concerning this. I don't know if I risk it just not running without any resistor there (if there should be one, that is), or if something could blow up, and then I'd be entirely screwed on this. Anyone have an idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Leave soldering motherboards to experts!

It is no job for the amateur or the faint hearted. Do a Google and see if you can find a service manual for your model iMac, usually about $5.00 for a downloadable copy.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reason I never got back is the service manual does not show any close ups of the traces and pads so I really could not (even blew up) see the info you need! I have the real apple manual BTW.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm not sure how/when one determines that they're an "expert" at something, but I do this type of thing for a living. But I don't work with lead-free boards much at all. Anyway, even experts slip (whether I'm an expert or not) sometimes.

DTravis7 - do you have that image in some kind of digital format, that I could look at? I might be able to spot the pads/resistor, even if I can't read the location in the image.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will see what I can do and get back to you with anything I can get pic wise of the Logicboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.