Restoring Function Keys Actions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
MacBookPro - 2 1/2 yrs old - OS X 10.6.5. I know very little about this computer but I still love it and use it for basic e-mail, web surfing, and using Excel spread sheets. Until this week the top row of the key board - keys F1 through F12, well they did what the little icons on them indicated they would do. I have no idea why but none of them now do those things. For example, F10, F11, and F12 used to mute or + or - the volume. They don't any more - pressing F12 brings the dashboard on the screen.
How do I get things back like they were - F1 through F12 functioning as the icons on them indicate?
I hate being so technically dumb!
THX
Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Go to >system preferences>keyboard, select the keyboard tab, and uncheck use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Yep - that fixed it! Quite simple when you know what you are doing! Thanks!
I had gone into System Preferences, Keyboard, but didn't "uncheck" that option. I guess I just don't think technically - or maybe I just don't think!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.