2010 Macbook Pro..crash :(

Reaction score
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, Core i7, Nvidia GeForce 330M, 4gb Ram, 2.66 Ghz.

And it crashes. I have no partition any more because I thought it was causing it to mess up. It has crashed during iMovie 9 (could be bad install, hasn't done it since new install), Starcraft 2, Counter Strike: Source, and has crashed during web browsing.

What exactly I mean by crash. The screen goes black, keyboard is still lit, computer is still running ( can hear it), audio "loops"...skips or w/e..sounds terrible, and cannot force quit, "option command esc", am forced to hold down power button till turns off then restart.

Please help with this. I have repaired all permissions and stuff, reinstalled OSX, and can't bring my mac in for repair because I need to edit video for a job, twice a week. So..can't go with it gone for 2 weeks plus. If I could get a new macbook pro to replace this one, I could do that....

Hopefully I can get help from the community!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You says 2010 MBP. How long have you had it? I would take it into Apple if you could. That does not sound right.

Reaction score
Hi I am not an expert but did you have a look on processor temperature? I have a Windows laptop only because I cannot affort MBP but maybe someday... Anyway some laptops like HP processor temperature is too high during video processing, processor overheats, screen goes black but all nights and sounds are ok. You could install app that controls the fan and shows you temperatures. I heard Apple sometimes put too much thermal compound on chips and that couses overheating. They used to do it, in previous models of Pro and a1181. Try to monitor temperatures first. Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram
I use to have a Compaq CQ-50 that would over-heat and shut down while it was just doing simple tasks like going to these forums, e-mailing, etc. The solution was to buy one of the little stands that fit under your notebook. This little stand is right now under this MBP.
It came with a cheap fan that gave up after about a week. They were going to replace the stand, but it would still have the cheap fan. I tossed the fan in the trash and just the fact that the notebook was lifted off the table in the back solved the problem. It also provides you with a nice angle to type with and that is why I still use it.

When I would take the Compaq to work I used a cheap drafting scale to do the same thing. Never had any problems with that either.

My MBP never seems to even run warm so I probably don't need it, but I still like the angle of the notebook when I type.

I think the cost of this little stand was around $20 bucks.

Good luck, Russ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
Repair might be quicker than you think.

If you do have Apple Care, get on the phone right now and see if they can help. I have always found them to (here in the US- to speak without an accent) be patient, knowledgeable.

They might guide you through resetting the Pram and SMC. Which you might try.

Maybe look to see what the SMART says about the condition of the hard drive.

Maybe find the Tech Tools and run the hardware tests.

You can see inside temps and such with a download of the free program Istat.

My latest Mac Book Pro debacle went like this.

I gorked my Apple on a Tuesday night.

I both spoke with Apple care support that night and made an appointment at the Genius Bar before noon on Wednesday.

Genius Bar took it in, sent it off to repair factory, somewhere.

Got it back on Friday by 3 P.M by Fed Ex.

If you have an Apple Store or approved repair facility nearby, then maybe they could sort it out for you while you stand there and wait.

Personally I have an external hard drive that I could use for a temporary install of OS X, and I can boot off of it. Runs really really slow through a USB port, but allows me to confirm if the issue is either the hard drive partition or the install. One only needs a minimal install for a quick test. Still that is hours of effort. A call to Apple Care is clearly better.

I thought I read the latest 2011 MBP had an issue that sounds like this which was not yet understood, and then very rare. I think you meant to imply yours has worked well for quite a number of months. Best wishes.

Reaction score
Experiencing same issue as first thread!!

Hi there,

I to am experiencing exactly the same issue as described by the first post on this thread.
I was wondering if you were ever able to ID the problem or better yet a solution.
Your help would be greatly appreciated as a hard shut down every time this happens cant be healthy for the computer.
Thanks very much

Reaction score
Hi there,

I to am experiencing exactly the same issue as described by the first post on this thread.
I was wondering if you were ever able to ID the problem or better yet a solution.
Your help would be greatly appreciated as a hard shut down every time this happens cant be healthy for the computer.
Thanks very much

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.