Does anyone have a 27-inch iMac that hasn't had problems?

Reaction score
Starting to wonder if these exist. I've read of so many 27-inch machines with problems, would be good to know that someone out there bought one, migrated their stuff and *it just worked*.

And, stayed working...

I had one for 24 hours and fell in love with the screen.

Cheers.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
From Day 1, my 27 inch iMac has performed flawlessly. Saying this is probably "the kiss of death", but I'll take the chance!

Everything transferred, via TM, from my previous iMac to the 27 inch — in fact I've kept my previous 21.5 as a further backup using Dropbox to sync important data between the two.

Touch wood, everything is currently running to spec.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I got my 27" iMac in February and have not had any problems with it.

Reaction score
Maybe I shouldn't read the forums too much... I didn't realize there were problems! ;P

Bought my 27" iMac a couple months ago, been just fine... so far...!

I was initially worried I might have one possible problem - I have a 24" Cinema Display for my MBP that drives me NUTS with the random blinking problem, but the iMac hasn't done that at all.

Edit: Just now reading one of the "problems" threads. A couple mentions of possible issues with Migration Assistant. I didn't have any trouble with that either, migrated everything right off the MBP without a hitch. (What a sweet thing that is, easiest time I've ever had getting going on a new machine...!) I will say I didn't do it "the right way" - initially got the iMac running, then realized I didn't want to reconfigure everything so manually ran Migration Assistant after the fact. No idea if that would make a difference or not.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Starting to wonder if these exist. I've read of so many 27-inch machines with problems, would be good to know that someone out there bought one, migrated their stuff and *it just worked*.

Of course they exist...do you really think that EVERY 27" iMac owner has had a problem?...I think not! What you're reading are postings from folks who have had a problem...which probably represents a very small minority of all owners.

The vast majority of folks with 27" iMacs have not had a problem. 99.99% of folks that DON'T have a problem don't post. Primarily...folks with problems re doing the posting. Generally speaking...this is less than 1% of all owners.

- Nick

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

@pigoo - yes that had crossed my mind. I think what I'll end up doing is going to my local Apple store (it's a 20 minute drive), buy one, migrate and see what happens. I've migrated in the past without a hitch - from my white 2006 iMac to my 2009 MBP, for example, but I have read of people migrating from 2006 iMacs to 2010 27-inch iMacs and experiencing problems. But as you say...

My working life revolves around this thing, and and also my leisure stuff - I really need it to just work and have confidence in it.

My 2006 iMac has been rock solid, and my MBP the same.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@pigoo - yes that had crossed my mind. I think what I'll end up doing is going to my local Apple store (it's a 20 minute drive), buy one, migrate and see what happens. I've migrated in the past without a hitch - from my white 2006 iMac to my 2009 MBP, for example, but I have read of people migrating from 2006 iMacs to 2010 27-inch iMacs and experiencing problems. But as you say...

If you search the internet...you can probably find negative stories or experiences for EVERY Apple Macintosh model ever released! Read enough of these stories/experiences...and you could be convinced not to buy anything.

You have to remember that 99% of the time folks that DON'T have a problem aren't going to go to the trouble to post..."Hey...I just bought a 27" iMac and it's running great!"

Folks with a problem ALWAYS have motivation to post about their bad experiences. Either because they are angry...and want the rest of the world to know it...or are simply looking for help to solve the problem.

The bottom line is...if every 27" iMac sold was having a problem...Apple wouldn't still be selling them. If I was looking for a brand new Apple computer...the 27" iMac would most likely be on the top of my list!:) Buy with confidence!:):)

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
People tend to be very vocal when they have problems. >_>"

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People tend to be very vocal when they have problems. >_>"

A very concise way of explaining much of the posting on internet forums (or any other outlet for voicing an opinion)!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
to be fair the first 27" iMac I had did have problems (even although it was a mid 2010 model) it still had a strong yellow hue towards the lower half of the screen - I took it back and the Apple store swapped it there and then for another brand new model (from the same week of production as well!) and got it home and it was perfect.. and has been ever since!! *touches wood*.. the best computer I've ever bought! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.93 i7 iMac 1TB HD 8GB RAM, Macbook, iPad 64gb Wifi+3G
Well I went through 2 27" iMacs and the 3rd was the charm.

C

chas_m

The fact that the 20 million people who've bought 27" iMacs haven't all written in to say how they've had no issues isn't evidence.

Broadly speaking the ONLY time you read reports on the internet/in forums is from people who are writing BECAUSE they're having an issue. No matter how many you've seen, I would guess it would be in the neighbourhood of 0.0001% of the number of people who've bought 27" iMacs.

Rather than rely on what's right in front of your face (problem reports if you read forums), it's better to rely on industry reports on quality and reliability from places like PC World and Consumer Reports. If you compare their numbers for Apple "problems" versus, well, anyone -- I think you'll see a much truer "big picture" emerge.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
One thing to note with migrations (and simple upgrades of the OS) causing issues, particularly from Tiger, is that there are some apps folks are still using that do put their junk in the system folders and many more that just are not going to even run in SL without the app being upgraded and some never were.

I have to believe that the majority of migration issues are caused by such items.

Another reason I encourage a bootable backup. My own upgrade to SL from Leopard caused a kernel panic on boot up. After attempting to start the machine twice, booted from my backup, read the error log, found the 3rd party kext that was causing the issue and removed it. Took me about an extra 10 minutes to fix something that otherwise might not have been possible without wiping the machine and starting over.

To 'expect' there will be zero issues when upgrading your OS (or importing all your apps from a previous OS) whether that be OS X, Windows or Linux is really unrealistic. I'd guess that better than 90% of all OS upgrades/migrations go perfectly fine. But to think that the OS developers have the time or the inclination to test every single piece of 3rd party software out there and then notify those developers and to then wait for them to fix their apps prior to an OS release, well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Of course they exist...do you really think that EVERY 27" iMac owner has had a problem?...I think not! What you're reading are postings from folks who have had a problem...which probably represents a very small minority of all owners.

The vast majority of folks with 27" iMacs have not had a problem. 99.99% of folks that DON'T have a problem don't post. Primarily...folks with problems re doing the posting. Generally speaking...this is less than 1% of all owners.

- Nick

This. I read the same thing on the Subaru forums in regards to the new piston ringland problems. Out of the thousands of cars produced by Subaru, the 40-50 or so people that participate on the forums have made the small % of cars affected seem like every '08+ STI has a bad motor.

~~On topic, my neighbor has a 27" imac and hasn't had a problem that she didn't cause. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.