2gb max memory... really...??

Reaction score
Hi guys

Ive just started using my macbook pro again as Im ready to give up on pc's.

I bought it 3 years ago, here are the specs.

15 inch
2.16 Ghz Intel core duo (in the hardware overview it says "Number of processors: 1" )
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
MAC OSX Version 10.4.11 (everything dloaded and updated today)

Ive been reading all morning that the programs I wanna run on it (adobe dreamweaver, fireworks, propellerhead reason and record) wont work great unless I upgrade a bit.

How can I do this as I have the max amount of ram already for this machine...?

Should I upgrade the software or is it a processor issue or is it all a lost cause...?

Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Hi guys

Ive just started using my macbook pro again as Im ready to give up on pc's.

I bought it 3 years ago, here are the specs.

15 inch
2.16 Ghz Intel core duo
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
MAC OSX Version 10.4.11 (everything dloaded and updated today)

Ive been reading all morning that the programs I wanna run on it (adobe dreamweaver, fireworks, propellerhead reason and record) wont work great unless I upgrade a bit.

How can I do this as I have the max amount of ram already for this machine...?

Should I upgrade the software or is it a processor issue or is it all a lost cause...?

Thanks guys

You can still run them. They will work just fine, just a tad slow at times.

OP
Matteo
Reaction score
Thanks mate

If I wanted to speed this machine how would I do it....?

Apparently I cant add any more Ram, what else can I do, is that really the only option...?

I am a real amateur with mac's as Im sure you can see lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks mate

If I wanted to speed this machine how would I do it....?

Apparently I cant add any more Ram, what else can I do, is that really the only option...?

I am a real amateur with mac's as Im sure you can see lol

Well the only other thing to do to speed up your computer would be add a faster HD. Either a 7200 RPM drive or a SSD. I would do the former, if you have the stock HD from Apple. This will increase boot times as well as apps loading. A SSD is proven to be the best upgrade, but they're still expensive and not fully functional (one thing they do is not supported by Macs) in Macs.

OP
Matteo
Reaction score
thanks mate, nothing I could do with the processor perhaps...?

Just stabbing in the dark at the moment

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Nah, can't upgrade the processor.

OP
Matteo
Reaction score
oh ok thats a shame.

Would I be able to update the operating system perhaps...? Then also get a faster hardrive...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Mactracker says that your model can be upgraded up to 3GB of memory. You can install 4GB but only 3 will be used.

Reinstalling the OS may help a little; it'll certainly reclaim some hard drive space for you. Have you tried Onyx to clean up your system? Do you have at least 25% of free space on your hard drive?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Whether we're talking about a Windows or a Macintosh notebook computer...very very very few notebooks have an upgradeable processor.

- Nick

OP
Matteo
Reaction score
Mactracker says that your model can be upgraded up to 3GB of memory. You can install 4GB but only 3 will be used.

Reinstalling the OS may help a little; it'll certainly reclaim some hard drive space for you. Have you tried Onyx to clean up your system? Do you have at least 25% of free space on your hard drive?

Oh ok thats pretty cool then. This may sound simple but does it have to be apple ram...? Is it the same type of ram you find in a p.c...?

Just out of interest will it make that much difference as my processor isn't that fast...?

Thanks guys my hair is falling out at the moment due to all this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Definitely NEVER purchase "Apple" branded RAM. It's the same as any other decent manufacturer, but HIGHLY overpriced. Most people here shop at either OWC or Newegg. In fact, I believe that OWC has an little app which tells you exactly what kind of RAM you'll need based upon your computer specs. That said, OWC is supposed to be a great place to shop with fantastic customer service, but I've also found their prices to be a bit higher than those of Newegg, when comparing similar items.

Corsair, OCZ, Crucial, G. Skill, Mushkin... All reliable chips worth consideration. One warning though, older RAM chips tend to be a lot more expensive than newer RAM, so you might consider trying to find someone either here, or maybe on eBay etc to get used RAM from to offset the difference. I actually swapped and paid a bit extra for memory for my older MBP with someone here.. went well and don't regret it.

Here's the OWC site with the upgrade matcher: MyOWC at OtherWorldComputing.com

Doug

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would check the RAM again. Am pretty sure the 4 GB / 3 usable is for the C2D only. The Core Duo machines can only use 2 GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
One more question... Do you have the Early 2006 or late 2006 MacBook Pro. Because from what I'm seeing on OWC's site, if you have the late model, they sell 4 gig pairs for it, which I'm assuming means 4 gigs will work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Memory Upgrades for your Apple MacBook Pro 2.16GHz (15-inch Intel Core 2 Duo) - Late 2006 at OtherWorldComputing.com

The earlier one would be: Memory Upgrades for your Apple MacBook Pro 2.16GHz (15-inch Intel Core Duo) - Early 2006 at OtherWorldComputing.com

which is one gig for $25

Doug

Edit: I think Bob just corrected me. But would they sell them in pairs like that if they didn't work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found this from Google:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ot...need-know-how-much-ram-your-mac-can-hold.html

:)

So it appears that Bob is correct, UNLESS there was an software update that would have allowed the Core Duo's to squeeze in one more gig.. Is that possible Bob ?

Doug

Edit: And actually reading that thread, it's also said those are just "official" numbers, and not necessarily what could be possible so....

I dunno. I say go for it if you have $25 burning a hole in your pocket!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The Core Duo machines are hardware limited to 2 GB - these are the early '06 models.

The late '06 models have the same CPU speeds which makes it a bit confusing, are Core 2 Duo - my MBP is one of these. You can put 4 GB in them, this will maintain the dual channel capability and you'll notice my specs over there:
<---------------------------------------------------------------------
I list 4GB, but they are hardware limited to actually using 3 GB.
About this Mac will indicate you have the 4 GB installed, but you'll only see 3 GB in Activity Monitor. Same running Windows, only 3 GB.

OP
Matteo
Reaction score
oh ok

The model I have is core duo not core2duo.

So hardware wise, besides buying a new harddrive there's nothing I can do...?

Wow that is a pain in the backside

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.