12" PB for the win.

E

embries

She arrived today. The envy of the workplace. So small, everyone was baffled at the size of this unit. I didn't even turn it on before installing my 1gb RAM upgrade. Things are rocking out now. What software do I need guys? Been a windows guy for quite a while and making my triumphant return to mac but I feel so lost. BTW, I don't really care for the "DVD Player" app, is there a way to remove the autolaunch of dvd player so I can use a player of my choice? Oh btw for all those lappy users, I really suggest the Radtech BT500 mini mouse. It looks small but is actually quite comfortable, and extremely handy as I find track pads very annoying. Anywho, just posting to report yet another "happy switcher".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
In the system preferences click CD's & DVD's, then change the action for Video DVD from the pull down. Also you might try VLC as an alternative player, it comes in all OS flavors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Software really depends on what you will use your mac for. I always recommend getting Microsoft Office, so many people use it, it's good to have. The basic suite of software that comes with the mac is pretty comprehensive.

What programs do you use on PC? We can tell you the mac equivalent.

Also, if you want to research software, versiontracker.com has a huge listing of software, along with user reviews and download links.

OP
U

untoastytoast

A few must have pieces of software (imo):

kisMAC: it scans for wireless networks, and lets you join open ones and possibly crack ones that have encryption

Tomato Torrent / Azureus: Bit Torrent clients, both are awesome, tomato torrent just uses less resources

VLC / WMP / Real Player: need all those to play a variety of files, vlc is especially awesome for playing avi's, it has played every avi file i've thrown at it so far, because it has the codecs built in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Oh, for maintenance, I recommend the free program Yasu. It does many tasks, and is much easier to use than other programs like Cocktail.

Do a search on google or versiontracker for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.