Running Adobe Master Suite on macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi guys

A big hello to everyone.

I currently have a 3-4 year old Macbook Pro with a 2gb 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM, 2.16 GHZ Intel core duo on MAC OSX 10.4.11. The hard drive 100gb rougly

I run Propellerhead Reason and Record on it which runs quite slowly.

Can anyone tell me the general performance of Adobe Dreamweaver and Fireworks on macbook pro's of this age as Ive been using them on windows but am now ready for the big change I think.

p.s is this the best forum for this question..?

C

chas_m

Not really, but I'll answer anyway.

I run the CS3 version of these apps and they run adequately fast for my (light) purposes. You seriously need to max out the RAM to get the best performance, though.

OP
Matteo
Reaction score
Ahhh ok

Ive been using cs4 until recently but the HTML 5 and css3 integration swung it for me to upgrade.

Thanks for answering

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And just as an FYI, the Core Duo machines were all discontinued in Oct. '06. So it's now over 4 years old.

2GB max memory was a totally acceptable practice during that time frame from every manufacturer of notebooks. Doubt you'll find but a very few from mid '06 and beyond that could handle more than that (with the exception of the $4-5000 Alienware and other gaming machines from the day - have a friend that bought $5000 Dell at the end of '06, and it maxed out at 2GB).

Vista hadn't even been released yet. XP was king and it couldn't use but 3GB of RAM.

To be honest here, you want to upgrade to a current gen $1000+ piece of software that's been optimized to run on current gen OSs and hardware, I can't recommend anything other than a new current gen computer to go along with it.

No money for both and you need the software now? We all deal with the same issue. Well, at least most of us. Do what you can, upgrade to a 7200rpm drive and Snow Leopard. It'll work. Worrying about whether it will be the fastest is pointless. You'll have a machine that can get it done.

As for how they will run on your machine, the only way you'll know and have any sort of legitimate feel is to run them on your machine. Download the trials and give them a go.

OP
Matteo
Reaction score
Thanks Bob

Ill do the upgrade and am at the moment looking at new hard drives. I live in Thailand and things like this seem to be a little bit cheaper.

I'm perhaps going to China in 3 months and since Mac's are mostly put together there I must be able to find a cheaper one somewhere there.

Thanks again guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.