Macbook 2010 and ssd

Reaction score
Hello,
If I take the hdd out of my macbook and put an ssd in it then use the hdd externally for all main information (except os install) would that show speed performances. Or would the USB slow down any performance upgrade from a ssd with just the OS on it.

Also, for the macbook what SATA would I need? I noticed their are SATA 1,2 and i believe 3 now?

Thanks,
Qua Sar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Hello,
If I take the hdd out of my macbook and put an ssd in it then use the hdd externally for all main information (except os install) would that show speed performances. Or would the USB slow down any performance upgrade from a ssd with just the OS on it.

Also, for the macbook what SATA would I need? I noticed their are SATA 1,2 and i believe 3 now?

Thanks,
Qua Sar

Well a SSD with the OS on it would increase your boot times, but if you store everything (apps, music, files, etc etc) on an external then you would only notice an increase in boot times.

SSD's are not worth it right now, no matter what they claim. Wait till Lion comes out to get one, once OS X supports TRIM and the prices come down. Any SATA will work, it will just downclock itself to whatever the mobo runs. i.e: Mobo supports SATA 1, you get SATA 2 HD. HD runs at SATA 1 speeds.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I figured about the SATA and thanks for the response.. I just didn't know if each sata had different interfaces or anything, instead of just downclocking.

Thanks for the speedy response again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.