Is Windows 7 still on my MacBook Pro (after uninstalling Parallels)?

Reaction score
I recently had Parallels Desktop 6 running on a MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.5; 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 GB MHz DDR3 RAM). I then had Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) running in Parallels.

Due to some glitches in Parallels (and total lack of support) I decided to remove Parallels and Windows 7.

One of the non-working features of Parallels was the OS uninstall (Parallels Desktop > File > Remove). Since that method was not an option, I did not know how to otherwise remove Windows 7 first, before Parallels, so I simply uninstalled Parallels 6.

So, my question now is, do I still have the Windows 7 OS, or parts of it, on my MacBook Pro? Or did removing Parallels 6 also take Windows 7 with it? If anyone knows, please let me know. If Windows 7 (or part therof) is still on my machine, how can I see it and remove it now?

Thanks much in advance for any comments, advice, suggestions, etc.

PS: Anyone have experience with VMware Fusion 3 for running another OS on your Mac? If so, how does it work?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Chances are the virtual machine's hard disk file still lives somewhere in your home folder. Did you happen to notice what the hard disk file was called? Typically VM software will name it something like "Windows 7 Home Premium". Try doing a Spotlight search for "Windows" and see what it comes up with.

I tooled around with Parallels some time ago - back in version 3. I found its Linux support to be less than stellar and I also didn't feel it was very robust. More recent versions are probably better, but I can't say that I know much about them. I've been using VMWare Fusion since it's release and it's always been rock solid. Never had a VM crash. I think Parallels is supposed to have better/faster 3D support, but I'm content with VMWare's capability in this regard as I don't game on VMs.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Moved to VMWare Fusion several years ago also, but I think Parallels kept the OSs in the documents folder same as Fusion.

My Spotlight search for the Windows VM on mine didn't return anything. Maybe try opening Finder up, head for Documents and click on the 'Size' column. If that's where Parallels keeps it, your Windows VM should be large enough to put it right at or close to the top of the list.

And if you're looking for an app to check size and location of files, I'd recommend WhatSize. Worth the price to me compared to the free apps that only give you a graphical representation.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. Since last posting I have installed VMware Fusion 3, and then Windows 7. In Documents there is now a folder called Virual Machine. It contains a single file that looks like it was created by VMware Fusion. The file is titled Windows 7 X64. I see no other folders or files giving evidence of Windows 7. I hope I have just the one Windows 7 OS installed now, and not a phantom or duplicate hiding somewhere.

So far I much prefer the VMware Fusion 3 to Parallels 6. I have come across no compatibility issues or other glitches in running it. I did not have a very good experience with Parallels 6 so am pleased with the VMware alternative.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.