• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac App Store coming January 6th 2011

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 4GB 1TB Mem.
im looking forward to that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes so am I. I think for switchers and people new to the Mac this is an excellent idea. And it brings long time iOS users but new to OSX people right in. They will be like App store - "Yes I understand this, same as iOS". And they will be able to jump right into their Apple computer.

Yes the pros and power users can still go to their favourite developers website for the nightly alpha and beta nightly builds of their favourite apps. But for the general Mac using population this is great. I can't wait really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I can't wait... for all the "Why isn't <my_preferred_application> available in the App Store?" posts. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I can't wait... for all the "Why isn't <my_preferred_application> available in the App Store?" posts. ;)

Eh, i don't think there will be many. It's not like the iOS app store where that's the only way to install apps. Since you can still install apps on your Mac any way you want, I doubt most people will care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I think the biggest thing about this is that it's going to take alot of the guess work out of downloading software. No more searching the web for what you want, then downloading a zip or dmg file and unpacking it. Or worse, going to a site for pay software and having to go through pages and pages of checking out and confirmations.

Now, assuming this app store works that way, it should merely be a matter of finding the software, clicking on it, and taking a hit in the wallet, much like the software center in Ubuntu works (only not free).

OP
Buzzard2010
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Great points from everybody, I certainly think and agree with the8thark, it's going to be great for New-to-Mac switchers, new to computer and even those who just don't get on with computers very well.
It really is just a simple piece of software for people to be able to one-click download and install applications/ games etc, and of course just like the app store on ios, a great middle ground where alot of software will be available.
And of course alot of people will like it because it will be moderated by Apple, so it will be a "safe" place to download, without the fear of some malicious software being involved.
Whatever the outcome of Mac App Store, i'm sure it will get alot of support from a wide variety of users.

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.