Virgin Router UK

Reaction score
Just got a free upgrade on my Virgin Broadband Router due to the Older Netgear router being crap. This one arrived today, a D-Link DIR-615 and I will connect tomorrow as I don't want to upset my 10 year old on his XBox 360 Live, as it would be **** !! lol.

Quick question, do I need to put the stupid CD in my iMac 24" or should I just connect the router and see if the iMac picks it up and just join? As all the instructions regarding installing all look like they are talking to PC users.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No need for the CD at all. Look at MDFuller's and my explanation there. Simple.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Ok many thanks, will sort it out in morning, can't see there being a problem.... but you never know lol. If you see me reply again you know there was ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
And I'll be around, as will others, to guide you if so.
It's a very user friendly router, and easy to set up port forwarding, so you should have no issues.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
One quick question.....Maybe silly but can I connect my Macbook with the Ethernet cable to the router to install as I don't want to drag the iMac all the way over to the other side of the house ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, no problem at all, and you can do further set up via wi-fi if needed too, but ethernet is better.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
lmao..... no crap router... been on the phone to Virgin 1 hour + and now getting a manager to phone me back later. One min it works next thing it don't. The old Netgear was far better. As you can see I have a net connection at mo as I'm typing this report, but for how long I don't know. Was more than basic setting it all up as well over the phone. I have a bad blind spot over the rear of the house where the iMac is, that was no where near as bad with the Netgear, which was the whole idea of changing the router! Walked around the house with my laptop and each room is so different with this Dlink. Download speed test at the mo on the iMac is just over 1mb (when it's working) and in room where router is was 9mb. Now the connections gone lmao !!!!!!!!! post later if lucky.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Keep going to Network settings on the iMac and clicking Assist Me and one min I get ISP failed then it comes back. Turned router off and then back on that sorts it out for a few mins then goes back to not connecting on the iMac. It's like going back in time 15 years ago with a cable modem !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. No matter what router you have, if you have a blind spot you can't expect it to be great.
You must have something blocking the signal, my router is under a desk in my hall and I can get a signal on my laptop half way up my garden, 50 feet away.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Latest update lol....... D-Link router was wrong advice from Virgin, can you believe that lol? The Netgear router I had was their latest router!! Anyway, D-Link now in the bin and been smashed up, getting a top of the range Virgin Hub thingy next week.... FREE.... with a double increase to 20mb ( Virgin XL package ) for an extra £1.06 a month for ever..... special time of the year offer, so if your with Virgin phone them up lol as I wasn't aware of that offer! Was told the Hub with the 20mb speed will cover any part of the house right down to the shed at the bottom of the garden... well we will wait and see lol.
The increase to 20mb is already showing signs of being better as before I was getting 1mb download if I was lucky on the iMac ( www.speedtest.net site ) at the back of the house now I'm getting nearly 7mb woop woop ! Can't wait to get the Hub lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. The Hub still requires the router for wi-fi. That D-Link works fine on my 50mb Virgin package btw, so it's as new as needs be, it is wireless N after all.
We will indeed wait and see, a dead spot is a dead spot after all.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
I don't know anything about this as you can read , but the Virgin person on the phone said the hub doesn't need the router and modem, it's just an all in one box containing both that does the work of both ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then that's something new they've introduced then. However, it's basically just a modem and wi-fi router built into one box, like the BT home hub is. I'm guessing it's only useable for the 20MB service, as I had to have a new modem box for the 50MB service, and was not offered a hub.
I just can't see why it will be any different form the existing set up, in regards to wi-fi range and deadspots, but as it's free, no problem. We will see I guess.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Virgin Super Hub just turned up, yes it's an all in one box containing the modem and router. Will set it up in the morning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.