GPU Diode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP|i7 2.66ghz|512mb GT330M|4gb DDR3|500gb 7200rpm SATA|HD Display
Hey everyone,

I got my new 15" MBP a week ago and I love it, then today something strange happened. Yesterday I downloaded iStat Nano to my dashboard to track my machine's stats. I do a lot of HD video editing and compiling as well as 3D modeling and animation so I wanted to keep an eye on things. Under the temperatures menu, one of the listed devices was the GPU Diode, a separate temperature from the GPU. After doing some rendering this morning I was checking my temperatures and blammo, GPU Diode reading -127 degrees celsius! What's up with that? Everything else was running fine. So, I restarted thinking it was just a glitch and now my GPU diode is completely gone from that list. What is this thing and did I fry it? Everything still seems to be running fine, I can still play back 720p footage and I haven't received any warnings or error messages. Someone help me!

-James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Probably just a glitch, nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Just read a thread from 2008 with the exact same temp as your as the posters says " -127 just means that the monitoring program isn't getting a correct reading from that diode"
They suggest to reinstall the Widget ....
But my recommendation is to download iStat Menus .v 2.0 ... This is a a awesome App and does everything and more than the one you have. You can configure it to have all the things you monitor most sitting in the Menu bar. I have the paid version which is .v 3. They have only recently made it paid for Apps but worth every cent IMHO. The link i gave gives you the FREE version but still a very good one and a lot around here still only have the .v2
Hope this helps and is what your looking for :)

Cheers

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP|i7 2.66ghz|512mb GT330M|4gb DDR3|500gb 7200rpm SATA|HD Display
Just read a thread from 2008 with the exact same temp as your as the posters says " -127 just means that the monitoring program isn't getting a correct reading from that diode"
They suggest to reinstall the Widget ....
But my recommendation is to download iStat Menus .v 2.0 ... This is a a awesome App and does everything and more than the one you have. You can configure it to have all the things you monitor most sitting in the Menu bar. I have the paid version which is .v 3. They have only recently made it paid for Apps but worth every cent IMHO. The link i gave gives you the FREE version but still a very good one and a lot around here still only have the .v2
Hope this helps and is what your looking for :)

Cheers
Just downloaded it and it's got a lot of nice features, thanks for the tip. No mention of a GPU diode in the stats so I'm going to assume iStat just got a glitch. If I notice any drastic changes to anything I'll be sure to look into it further.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.