Help with choosing a Macbook!

Reaction score
I want to get a macbook pro as i am going to uni next year to study film and want to be able to edit videos. I need tech specs in detail as i'm not very good with understanding them haha. I want to be able to use final cut studio on it so it has to have a good graphics card and be reasonably fast. Not too bothered about memory as i can get an external hard drive. Please give me any help you can. :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I want to get a macbook pro as i am going to uni next year to study film and want to be able to edit videos. I need tech specs in detail as i'm not very good with understanding them haha. I want to be able to use final cut studio on it so it has to have a good graphics card and be reasonably fast. Not too bothered about memory as i can get an external hard drive. Please give me any help you can. :Blushing:

Graphics cards won't play a huge role in video editing. And as far as memory and external hard drive, you are referring to Hard Drive space (storage) as opposed to memory ;) You actually want a good amount of memory (RAM) for video editing.

Let me ask your budget and what size laptop you are comfortable with.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.) This is almost ideal for you, except you would want to upgrade the hard drive yourself to a 7200 RPM drive.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC024LL/A?mco=MTgwOTc3MTc Here's a 17" with a higher res screen. Same specs, but again you would want to upgrade the hard drive yourself to a 7200 RPM drive.

Things you are looking for when video editing:
Fast processor. The i5 is ideal for this
High res screen.
4GB RAM minimum (the MBP's can all go to 8GB of RAM)

Now if you aren't comfortable buying refurbished (no reason not to, they are basically brand new. Apple is very strict with their refurbished units and they still carry a full warranty) you can look for a new unit for about $2149 with those same specs.

Now if you're looking at a 13" get the fastest Core2Duo available (one time you want a fast processor).

If you get a 17" the difference between the i5 and i7 processor isn't a huge deal. Definitely look into the refurb I posted as it saves you some money and gives you everything you need (minus the hard drive)

Any more questions feel free to ask.

edit: Wow, when I posted that first refurb, there were 2-3 available. Now it's out of stock :( But look for one with those specs.

OP
C
Reaction score
well my budget is very low so as cheap as possible would be nice. Also i'm english so it would be in £ not $

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
well my budget is very low so as cheap as possible would be nice. Also i'm english so it would be in £ not $

Well then check out the UK Apple store and browse around a bit. I gave you a good amount of information in the other post so just go ahead and look at what I recommended and see if you can fit it into your budget. You can always get 2gb of RAM and upgrade yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.