MS Word for Mac 2011

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air OS X 10.7 1.7 Intel Core i5 4GB, MacMini mid-2011
I recently installed Office for Mac 2011 and have Word is crashing constantly. Power Point as well, just not quite as often.

In word it seems to happen the most when pasting text from other applications in.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
Gord

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Have you checked for Updates? There's been two since it's been released.

I can't say I'm having the issue.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I have the auto update running and have installed. If others aren't having the issues, then could be my system, i guess.

Reaction score
Just as a point of reference I am having no problems with the Office 2011 package on my 2006 Mac Pro. May very well be an issue with your setup.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@ OP. Nave you tried launching Word/Powerpoint from another user account? If it works there try dragging your word/office prefs outside of your user account somewhere and relaunch the program.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, can you help me find the prefs?

Thanks

Reaction score
Typing accented characters in Word for Mac 2011

Could someone tell me whether I have missed a change in the Word programme, please? Is there is a simple new set of keystrokes for typing letters that are accented with a line or tilda (~)? The old combination of keystrokes -- Ctrl+shift+tilda+letter -- no longer works.

I have taken a look at the insert Symbol method, but copying the character from the symbol browser and then inserting it is a) an inefficient use of time, and b) means that the character is not in appropriate font, or even the appropriate font size.

Thanks in advance,
Elaine

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OK, can you help me find the prefs?

Thanks

I'll have to leave that to one of our other members. I haven't installed it yet. In the past I think they have been installed in a folder called Microsoft User Data.

Did the program run OK when you started it from another user account?

Reaction score
Hi: I was wondering if anyone could help. I just installed Word 2011 for Mac on my OS-X 10.6.4. I work with rather large documents (over 1000 pages at times), and the software is working fairly well, except for one major problem. Frequently, for example when I switch from one document to another, Word begins "analyzing" my document. The message at the bottom of the document reads something like "Word is finishing analyzing your document." This process can take from several seconds to several minutes or more, and I can't do anything else in Word until it finishes. The cancel feature doesn't seem to respond.

Anyhow, if there anyway to disable this "analyzing" feature? I've looked around in the Help document but can't find anything helpful.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give.

Reaction score
Hi: I was wondering if anyone could help. I just installed Word 2011 for Mac on my OS-X 10.6.4. I work with rather large documents (over 1000 pages at times), and the software is working fairly well, except for one major problem. Frequently, for example when I switch from one document to another, Word begins "analyzing" my document. The message at the bottom of the document reads something like "Word is finishing analyzing your document." This process can take from several seconds to several minutes or more, and I can't do anything else in Word until it finishes. The cancel feature doesn't seem to respond.

Anyhow, if there anyway to disable this "analyzing" feature? I've looked around in the Help document but can't find anything helpful.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give.

What view are you working on in these documents? If you're using 'print' view, this is probably a factor.... try using normal or outline view - especially for very large documents (until ready to prunt etc then check with print view).

You could take a look at this document - "Bend Word to Your Will" at:-
Word:mac - Bend Word To Your Will

an old favourite of mine, not specific to Word 2011 but is fabulous for explaining what's going on with Word and how to work with it - especially styles, templates etc - and the author wrote it due to his experiences with very large documents, like yourself.

Page 146 has some info on "Normal view, why it’s best used when working on a long document" - you can also check out pages referring to Print and outline view. Hope it helps.

Coops

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.