SSD and Ex HDD options?

Reaction score
I would like to upgrade to a ssd. However i dont want to be shelling out £750 for a smaller HD than i have now..

So.. Could i get a 128GB SSD and use a firewire ex HDD for the bulk of my files?

I have never used firewire or an external HDD on my mac so i dont know how well they will integrate and how fast it will be..

Anyone else done anything similar?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An external drive, even firewire 800, is not going to give you the performance and speed of an internal drive. However, if you're thinking of using a SSD as an internal drive and a FW external for data storage, the speed and performance won't really matter.

My opinion regarding SSD drives is that until prices come down and OS X supports TRIM (OS X Lion), I'm going to continue using a standard 7200 RPM drive. I can get a lot more bang for my $ or £ using a standard drive than a SSD. I may sacrifice some speed and performance, but since I'm not a number cruncher or graphic designer, to me it doesn't matter.

Reaction score
A possibility you might want to look into is installing a SSD in addition to the HDD you currently have. Both internally

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Firewire is pretty quick relative to USB v2. SSD's are quick as well. I run a 128GB SSD internally on my Mac Mini and an external FW800 RAID with dual 7200rpm SATA drives. For me it's plenty quick. YRMV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.