Maintaning My Mac Pro

Reaction score
I have an occasional problem with my Mac when it gets slow on the internet or refuses to bring up a utility or some other function I want to view. If this happens I repair permissions and if that doesn't work I go to fsck -fy. Once or twice for the last one I typed. Am I correct in this or is there a a better way?

I have replaced the OS twice as I needed to get back on line for my business. For perspective, this has been 3 years ago. Once I got into the guts of this I have had no problems that I could not resolve with my methods.

I first used PC's in the 80's and Macs in the 90's and then came back to Mac 5 years ago. I love MAC. PC's I spent half my time just trying to keep running properly.

I am a photographer in retirement but just wanted something that I could work with. Mac is it. I learned how to control it myself and outsiders, coming in, do not give me grief any longer.

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Goodnight - Macro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Still got the original install discs for the Mac Pro? If so boot into Apple Hardware Test and run the extended mode and see what is reported. Also boot from your current OS DVD, go into Utilities in the Menu Bar and select Disk Utility and under First Aid run Repair Disk and see what that reports.

From your description about utilities not opening, may well be a failing hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.