iTunes external HD

Lex

Reaction score
Ok, so this is what I have done so far;
- Copied my whole library (the music map from the home folder) to an external HD
- Clean installed 10.6.3
- Updated to itunes 10

what I want to do now is get itunes to play my library from the external HD, anyone knows how to do that without copying all my tracks to my computer and then using the consolidate files command?

Muchos gratias ;)

Lex

OP
L

Lex

Reaction score
I have asked 3 questions on these forums in the past year, never had an answer ;).

The trick is;
- select the music on your external hard drive
- hold down the alt option during the next step
- drag it in the itunes window.

An other way would be:
- Create an alias of your iTunes folder (the one on the HD)
- Replace the Media Folder on your internal drive with the above map

Reaction score
All I do is simply click on File and select add folder to library. You don't want to consolidate then don't..... Pretty simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
iTunes collection on external

The following assumes you want to keep all your iTunes music and movies on a hard drive and ensure new music is always stored there

First, you need to consolidate your iTunes Library to a folder you have chosen (let's say External > Media).

Select the command consolidate library from the File Menu > Library > Consolidate Library (or from the Advanced Menu in iTunes 7). This will copy all your iTunes media to the shared folder and link the iTunes library file to it

The files will now be in the folder while the library file (the index as it were) will still be in the Users > Me > Music folder of your mac.

118lh80.jpg

Copy it to shared Media folder, start iTunes with the alt key pressed and you will have the option to select the library file now on the shared drive

2dlon54.jpg

Select the library file you just copied and now both your music and the library are on the external

Reaction score
If he aldready copied it over, do you really need to go through that? I have done this in the past and simply re-added the new folder myself after I moved the files. It updated just fine. I, however, keep my library file on my mac rather than on the drive.

OP
L

Lex

Reaction score
Tnx guys... the problem lies in the fact that I do no longer have the library file. I just copied the music and then did clean install. Result; 2000 song ratings, album art etc. is gone. I am now putting all the music back on the drive and retagging I think (6000 + songs -.-)

After that I will use your method.

Reaction score
Tnx guys... the problem lies in the fact that I do no longer have the library file. I just copied the music and then did clean install. Result; 2000 song ratings, album art etc. is gone. I am now putting all the music back on the drive and retagging I think (6000 + songs -.-)

After that I will use your method.

That file is kept in your profile, not the install folder so it may still be there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That file is kept in your profile, not the install folder so it may still be there.

Its in Users > Me > Music

Thats why you should use consolidate

OP
L

Lex

Reaction score
I know it was a stupid move of me. My fault so I will fix it -.-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, good luck and hope it turns out right in the end.

Reaction score
Its in Users > Me > Music

Thats why you should use consolidate

Thanks... I never used that function. I have always kept my files on the TC so that the Mrs. and I can both access them. I just point iTunes to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.