Magsafe board problem?

Reaction score
Hello
I have a late 2008 13 inch Macbook 2.4ghz.
For the past 6 months or so, it's been hard for the charger connect to properly connect and charge. However, it has always worked when I wiggle the connect a bit.
So yesterday no matter how hard I try, it won't charge. So today I went and bought a new magsafe charger. It works but only intermittently, so after some search on the forum, I think it might be my magsafe board port?

Has anyone else had this problem, are there any guide on how to replace it? also what is the correct part number that I would need to get?

Thanks in advance
Happy holidays

J

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure the magnetic connector is clean? Check for small metal particles or anything else that might be keeping it from making a good connection. For parts, check with iFixit: The free repair manual. Have your model number on hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Good call from chscag - because it's a big magnet, one of the things that gets caught most often in the MagSafe port is staples - they fit very well, they're nearly invisible when they're in there, and they're on nearly everyone's desk. If the MagSafe connector isn't connecting properly, the terminals can arc and burn out the adapter. There's also the possibility that the MagSafe port on the computer itself got burned out and isn't carrying enough power anymore. Test with multiple adapters - a friend's is always a good idea, just in case it burns up (kidding!) - and see if the symptoms follow the adapter or the connector.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys.
I borrowed a friend's charger, and it works.
Except, the light is green. when it should be orange when charging, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I called apple and they sent me a new one under warranty. i was missing a pin thing in mine that was causing it and now it works great. are you sure all of the pins are in the magsafe adapter.

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a similar problem. When the magsafe is out the battery icon promts: "Not charging" Just as if the magsafe was connected but not charging.

When I have the magsafe connected the charging is very slow.

I think it is the magsafe board on my computer. There is a good guide on ifixit but I am not sure that it is that component that is not working. It could be the logic board?

During my investigations in this case almost all computers having similar problems are alu macbooks late 2008. I have one of those.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hey guys
So today I replaced the magsafe board and it's still behaving exactly the same way.
When I plug in the charger, the LED does not lit up and if I try to press the battery indicator bottom there is no green light.
However, when I unplug the charger, the battery indicator green light will flash, like the one you get if your battery is out of juice.

Should I try a new battery? or is there something wrong in the logic board? what do I do?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I also have a late 2008 Macbook Aluminum that is behaving the same way.

From the research I have done, this problem is often caused by a liquid spill on the keyboard, but not always.

I did not spill any liquids on mine, but that was the first question the tech fellow at the Apple Store asked me.

They are going to replace the mag safe on the Macbook and see what happens - that part is only $25.00 plus a $40.00 labour charge - not bad.

If that doesn't work, I am advised it is most likely a logic board. At $600.00 plus labour, it is not worth it.

Stay tuned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Bear in mind, Apple provides a flat-cost repair service for portable computers, provided there is no physical damage or spill. MacBooks are around $285, MacBook Pros around $320, and that covers pretty much anything not related to physical damage. I've seen these systems come back with new logic boards, displays, optical drives, hard drives and casing, all covered under the $325 price. Still a little expensive, but much better than the $600 quote plus labor.

Reaction score
I have a late 2008 aluminum unibody. Same thing. Everything was great, brand new battery, brand new ssd and a new 7200 rpm 750 gb drive in the optical bay. Thenone day I noticed it wasn't charging. After resetting pram and smc I took it it. They said it lookednliked water damage to the MagSafe board. There was never any spill whatsoever. They replaced the MagSafe board (it was going to be $50). No luck. Now they say it's a logic board replacement. This is total bs. There was never any damage to the laptop. It sits on my desk and never travels. It never came anywhere near liquid. This is just a design flaw or a bad part. From the online research I've done I am seeing lots of folks with these late 2008 MacBook unibodys having this problem. Hopefully apple will recognize the problem and replace/repair these things even if they are out ofnwarranty. This was my first Mac. Never again will I go without AppleCare. I am very curious to here from people with this problem.

Reaction score
I agree that this is problem seems to be caused by bad design by Apple. Apple should fix MacBooks with this problem regardless of having apple care or not.

Have you ever heard of a late 2008 MBP with this problem? I have not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.