• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Joshua Kors has no idea how to use a Mac, returns it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
No one "needs" a Mac for video editing, however, be it for the novice or the professional, it is certainly a good option.
Other than being the industry standard with Final Cut Pro, it also comes standard with iMovie which is good for the casual to serious movie editor, along with Garageband, if you don't want to go with Final Cut Pro, it is still one neat package , and is very streamlined and easy to use.
IMHO better than Movie Maker.
The reliability of OS X and at this point in time, being no Viruses for Mac, is also a lot safer an option.

Real serious video editing is usually done on a high end Mac Pro, where as the novice occasional editor will have fun on any Mac with it, and anywhere in between, the iMac is a great choice with value for money and that beautiful display.

Once again, you don't need a Mac or it's OS or Apple's software for video editing, but it certainly is a good option :D

Reaction score
No one "needs" a Mac for video editing, however, be it for the novice or the professional, it is certainly a good option.

Agreed. But evidently he had someone convince him that the only way he would become proficient in video editing was to make his next computer be a Mac. It clearly wasn't researched in any other respect.

Other than being the industry standard with Final Cut Pro

I think that users of Adobe Premiere Pro would argue that Final Cut Pro is not "the" standard as much as "one of the top options." Adobe runs just dandy in Windows XP/Vista/7.

The reliability of OS X and at this point in time, being no Viruses for Mac, is also a lot safer an option.

That's a pretty ballsy statement (and one that isn't entirely true). In any case, I run Microsoft Security Essentials on my two Windows 7 machines and it does a great job and is free.

... you don't need a Mac or it's OS or Apple's software for video editing, but it certainly is a good option :D

Agreed... I still think the author was operating under a false premise right from the beginning, though. The idea that Macs are better for graphics/photo and/or video is still out there in the general non-computing-expert public, dating back to the early 90's when that was to some extent true (but never as true as Apple's marketing made it seem that it was, esp. when you look at how horrid the processors were back then compared to PCs... ever use a 68030 16mhz? That's what Apple was selling while PC makers were selling 486's at 66mhz that smoked them).

Anyhow, poorly written/researched article. Even a big-time Mac fan has to admit that some portion of sales is out of trendy/coolness and nothing more... that's always been the case. Mac's are SLICK and neat and that's attractive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That's a pretty ballsy statement (and one that isn't entirely true). In any case, I run Microsoft Security Essentials on my two Windows 7 machines and it does a great job and is free.

It is absolutely true that there are no viruses for Macs. You obviously missed this sticky thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/209182-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html.

Microsoft Security Essentials is very much recommended by the vast majority of users on Mac-Forums for anyone using Windows. I use it on my Dell Dektop running XP. I agree with you that it does a great job. And it isn't much of a resource hog at all.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It is absolutely true that there are no viruses for Macs. You obviously missed this sticky thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/209182-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html.

I think we need to stop making this statement, because clearly people understand "virus" to mean the same thing as "malware". Yes, we know there are a handful of trojans for the Mac, no trojans are not the same thing as a virus. But to the layman, they are one and the same. So, by advising people "there are no viruses for the Mac", we're doing them somewhat of a disservice.

Explaining what maladies exist, advising what to do to avoid them, and giving members some common sense guidelines are what that thread is about. So, I do think pointing them in that direction is a good idea, but I also think we need to stop making the statement "there are no viruses for the Mac" as steadfastly as we have in the past (and believe me, I'm guilty of it too - it took a long time to get some perspective on this issue).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I don't think so, and I also believe that his second piece Joshua Kors: Returning My iMac 2: Revenge of the Mac Lovers was only an attempt to backtrack and try to convince the world that his first piece was a "brief comic riff."

Trolling at best, the guy is a still a loser who got a good laugh out of me (out of pity) :D

See Joshua Kors (joshuakors) on Twitter
over and over and over again..... if that's not defence, I don't know what is :)
It was posted in the "comedy" section, so I suppose it was supposed to be funny. I missed it the first time I read it, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well the sad part is that even if it is comedy, no one found it funny. And comedy that is not funny just fails.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well the sad part is that even if it is comedy, no one found it funny. And comedy that is not funny just fails.

I still don't get how this is satire. Satire is funny because it plays on the deficiencies of the object it jests. The only deficiencies that were pointed out by the article were those of user ignorance. So was it the author lampooning himself?

It did very much read like a personal review. And had he pointed out the normal frustrations that switchers often encounter, it might have struck a certain audience as amusing, but this was nothing more than Windows fanboy fodder.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I still don't get how this is satire. Satire is funny because it plays on the deficiencies of the object it jests. The only deficiencies that were pointed out by the article were those of user ignorance. So was it the author lampooning himself?

It did very much read like a personal review. And had he pointed out the normal frustrations that switchers often encounter, it might have struck a certain audience as amusing, but this was nothing more than Windows fanboy fodder.

Agreed totally CWA. I have read satires about Macs and laughed. There is a video on You Tube like that with a dood that does video editing and it's funny!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I think we need to stop making this statement, because clearly people understand "virus" to mean the same thing as "malware". Yes, we know there are a handful of trojans for the Mac, no trojans are not the same thing as a virus. But to the layman, they are one and the same. So, by advising people "there are no viruses for the Mac", we're doing them somewhat of a disservice.

Explaining what maladies exist, advising what to do to avoid them, and giving members some common sense guidelines are what that thread is about. So, I do think pointing them in that direction is a good idea, but I also think we need to stop making the statement "there are no viruses for the Mac" as steadfastly as we have in the past (and believe me, I'm guilty of it too - it took a long time to get some perspective on this issue).

I understand what you're saying, but I'm merely stating the truth.

I provided a link to a more in-depth explanation, so it's not like I misled anyone about anything. There was nothing "tongue-in-cheek" or two-edged about my statement. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
He made a valid point.
Trojans, worms, viruses, maleware, bloatware, etc are all very different things. But some people just call the lot a virus. Which is ok in a way cause they are all bad. But if you want to get technical then they are all very different things. And many people don't know the difference between them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I just bought my Mac this year, and didn't even go to the Apple Store in town, I ordered it from Apple's online store, and still figured out how to use my Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I just bought my Mac this year, and didn't even go to the Apple Store in town, I ordered it from Apple's online store, and still figured out how to use my Mac...

Apparently you are smarter than Joshua Kors! Congrats!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Joshua Kors you are not smarter then a 5th grader.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Joshua Kors you are not smarter then a 5th grader.

Joshua Kors you are not smarter than a 5th grader

Pot, Kettle ...... ;P
JK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
I think the most frustrating thing to me about this, is that somebody who might potentially switch will read this information and leave it at that. Won't take the chance. Of course, that's their loss, and I'm certainly not a shareholder of apple, but I absolutely HATE when people make their decisions, be it elections, purchases, or which OS to use, based on misinformation.

Exactly. I'm in no way, shape, or form a super computer user. A girl a friend of mine used to date said the dumbest thing ever one night. "Well, Macs are only good at doing video and art stuff. You can't do everything on it that you can with a PC." I asked her for a specific example of something that I couldn't do on my computer that she could on her computer. She had a completely blank stare on her face until I decided to continue. I told her that whoever said that to her is either uninformed, extremely biased, or both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
I couldn't stop laughing at the part when he went to the bathroom to straighten up for a profile picture. He probably doesn't even know how to tie his "first-rate pair of swing dancing shoes."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.