Can anybody help with a question about an iSight webcam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi Guys,
I have a Mac Mini Aluminium and I want to buy an iSight webcam to use with it. I can't afford a new one but I have seen used ones for £30 or so on eBay. My only problem is that I have been searching the web for info about what kind of iSight webcam works with what Operating System and whether or not there are updated drivers around for the different models of iSight webcam.
Hopefully, somebody here will be able to tell me if any webcam with the iSight brand name on it will work with my Mac Mini or if I need to use a specific model of iSight webcam.
I am not bothered about having the latest features just as long as we can see the grandkids and they can see us.
Many thanks for any info,
Steve

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks osxx .... **Goes for a read**

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again, I'm back from my read of your link but I'm no wiser.
First of all, the main part of the link is showing Mac compatible webcams that work via USB 2.0 which are NOT iSight webcams. There is a little bit about iSight but only to say that the author doesn't know why Apple stopped making them. Another section seems to say that iSight worked with Tiger and Leopard but nothing about Snow Leopard.
Thanks for trying.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would point you back to the link. Why would you want to buy a webcam (iSight) that was discontinued 'I don't even know how many' years ago?

Edit: Now I do. They stopped production basically at the same time they made the change to Intel from PPC. So any external iSight you find is going to be at least 4 years old. My question would still have to be, why?

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi bobtomay.
The answer is quite simple really. The iSight webcam seems to have a lot going for it over other brands. That's if the customer reviews are anything to go by. In fact, the only thing holding me back is not knowing if the iSight camera is OS specific. What I mean is that I'm worried that a particular iSight camera was made for a specific Operating System such that an older iSight webcam won't work with a newer OS.
This type of info is very hard to find on any of the Apple or iSight web pages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.