Imac 27 I5 10,1

Reaction score
sorry for all the dumb questions but ive been a pc guy for years and now that I am using a MAC I have lots of questions , this one is about adding a second hard drive to the MAC , what drive can I put in it and how difficult is it for me to do it ?
I have the 1TB it came with and want to add a 1.5 or 2TB

thanks for your help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do not recommend adding a second internal hard drive to your new iMac. The reasons are as follows:

1. It may void your warranty.

2. Gaining access to the inside of your new iMac is a moderately difficult task as the entire front panel display assembly must first be removed. See the details at iFixit: The free repair manual.

3. You may damage delicate internal components. See reason 1. We have already gone through one thread here where that is exactly what happened when the owner attempted to add a SSD.

My advice is to purchase a nice large fast external hard drive such as the "Mercury on the go" series from OWC. These drives are very fast and have firewire capability.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
sorry for all the dumb questions but ive been a pc guy for years and now that I am using a MAC I have lots of questions , this one is about adding a second hard drive to the MAC , what drive can I put in it and how difficult is it for me to do it ?
I have the 1TB it came with and want to add a 1.5 or 2TB

thanks for your help

Ok...one place to start as a new Macintosh computer person is...it's not a "MAC"...it's a "Mac".;)

As far as your hard drive question...I wasn't quite sure if you were asking about replacing the internal HD in your iMac...or if you wanted to install a 2nd internal HD?

If you were talking about installing a 2nd internal HD...can't do it. The newest iMacs can only have one "traditional" internal HD (but it is possible to install a 2nd SSD drive...but it's really more of a "hack"...and not really recommended). If you want or need a 2nd HD...it would be best if it was an external drive. You can replace your iMac's internal HD with a larger model...but replacing an internal HD on your iMac is not very easy.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Mac

thanks for the advice I think Im going with the External HDD that would be much easier for me to install :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.