New Imac owner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5, 3.06 GHz Intel core i3, 4GB DDR3, OS X 10.6.5, 1.5 TB HDs'
Hi All.

Just popped in to say bonjour.

Got a brand new iMac last week. Ive been a PC user for many years, so finding the change over a bit daunting at the moment.

Ive already encountered my first issue with the transition.

My external HD was NTFS. I didnt realise you could not write to it with OS X.

Got round it by importing files onto mac, reformatting HD and exporting back.

Tried macfuse and NTFS software, but with no joy, so had to do it the long way round.

Anyway. Im really impressed so far. Are there any tips/Techniques that will help me in the meantime.

All the best

Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Your new iMac has Snow Leopard installed. SL has the ability to read and write to NTFS formatted drives, however, by default that ability is not turned on. You can turn it on with a free utility called "NTFS Mounter" download from here. I do not recommend the MacFuse NTFS 3G software as it has been known to cause problems.

There is one more option: Paragon NTFS, a driver from Paragon Software which will enable you to read and write to NTFS. Not free though. $19.95

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
There is one more option: Paragon NTFS, a driver from Paragon Software which will enable you to read and write to NTFS. Not free though. $19.95

Great piece of software. Well worth the price in my opinion!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5, 3.06 GHz Intel core i3, 4GB DDR3, OS X 10.6.5, 1.5 TB HDs'
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Your new iMac has Snow Leopard installed. SL has the ability to read and write to NTFS formatted drives, however, by default that ability is not turned on. You can turn it on with a free utility called "NTFS Mounter" download from here. I do not recommend the MacFuse NTFS 3G software as it has been known to cause problems.

Thanks for the reply.

Wish i had found this site before i messed around with the HD etc...

Very usefull info.

Will look into the NTFS mounter for future reference too..

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.