Noobie with an idea for an App

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
I have never written a string of code in my life. But I think of ideas all the time of Apps I'd like to see or use, especially for my line of workin the medical field. With the advent of the iPad, you can see where I'm going with this. I know that when Apple initially offered the 1st SDK long ago, the offered 3 types of apps, right? commercial for sale, ad hoc, and institution?
Like I said, it's been a while. :Blushing:

I suppose I'm just wondering if it's possible for someone like me to create apps/work on them when I have the time.

Thanks

MacDad

C

chas_m

Yes.

Well, actually writing apps that you can then publish on the App Store and become a zillionaire -- that's going to take a serious monetary investment.

BUT -- yes, it is possible to at least prototype if not outright build an iPhone app with minimal investment!

You'll need two things:

1. The basic iOS SDK kit and iOS Developer membership. This is a must even if you're only "fooling around." Cost: $99/year

2. A "code-free" object-oriented software builder such as Illumination (just one example, not necessarily a recommendation, I haven't used any of these products). Cost: $50 or so.

That's about all you need (other than time, some basic understanding of iOS concepts, maybe a book) to at least "fool around" or prototype something. If you're really on to something, there are MANY companies (most of them sleazy weasels, so be cautious!) that can take on building the custom app and getting it on the App store for you ... or you may wish to pay a few (hundred) bucks more and do the job yourself.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
Thanks

Thank you for responding chas.

I'm not interested in the money I suppose. I don't have the know-how for that. Plus, I think my employer would claim it as theirs in the event! I'm just a nurse on a telemetry floor that is frustrated with the kind of software we use (Meditech--preceding the zombie apocalypse!) and we have another device used for patient education, that essentially looks like WALL-E. and is about as archaic and easy to use as the same. That device alone is what had me seriously interested in the iPad for our floor. It's so much simpler to use and tote around.

I'm not worried about the SDK membership cost, or even the cost for code building software. I just want to seriously entertain this because there is clearly a better way.

Thanks again

MacDad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Have you done extensive searching of the App store for medical-themed apps? I've heard that doctors and hospitals use iPads for various things. But I don't know if it's exactly what you are thinking of. ...I don't really know what you are thinking of. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.