Adding A 2nd Hard Drive

S

Scottmatic

I am trying to install a second hard drive into my 1.8ghz powermac. After slotting the hard drive neatly into the bottom bay, the instructions i got from apple support site say to attach the powercable to the new hard drive, however I didnt get a powercable with my hard drive. Im fairly new to installing hard drives, is there a second cable located within my g5 so i can get it to work, or am I missing a trick.

Thanks a lot for your time,

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
all you need is the IDE cable, the drive should have come with it already attached. where did you get this drive? you can usually get the cable at a computer sore. when you connect it, make sure you set it as slave, not master.

OP
S

Scottmatic

Macman said:
all you need is the IDE cable, the drive should have come with it already attached. where did you get this drive? you can usually get the cable at a computer sore. when you connect it, make sure you set it as slave, not master.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43707

this is the hard drive i got, didnt come with a cable just the hd itself, is that all im missing?

how do i set the drive as a slave, im only using it as backup drive for important data incase the main drive fails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool drive, you can get the cable for a few dollars, compusa, radio shack, circuit city, I believe you will need a female to male cable. you can use slave or cable select, I recommend slave. you set the jumpers, the hd should have settings on it for jumpers(stoppers).

Reaction score
Macman said:
cool drive, you can get the cable for a few dollars, compusa, radio shack, circuit city, I believe you will need a female to male cable. you can use slave or cable select, I recommend slave. you set the jumpers, the hd should have settings on it for jumpers(stoppers).

I don't think he's in the U.S. from the looks of the link he sent.

ed724

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S

Scottmatic

Macman said:

Yeah im from the UK, i should have mentioned that in my post, i'll get a cable, kinda pissed off I didnt get one when I bought the drive. So what exactly are jumpers and stoppers?, and what is the benefit from me setting the drive as a slave?, what would have happened if i set it as master?

sorry for all this Ive had no previous experience replacing hard drives, and this is the first mac ive earned, and definetly not my last.

Thanks for the input,

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
first off, if you don't have any experience in hardware or jumpers, I recommend you have this drive installed professionally or by a friend who knows what they are doing, no offense. :)
as far as setting as slave, the 'master" is the drive the computer boots from, so the two have to be designated, and the slave is just that, you use it to back up and store stuff.
jumper is s topper, its described on the hd as a stopper usually.

OP
L

Lasha

Hold on a second, don't PowerMac G5s run on Serial ATA? Or am I mistaken, since it's an older model???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lasha said:
Hold on a second, don't PowerMac G5s run on Serial ATA? Or am I mistaken, since it's an older model???
thats right, I was assuming it was a g4. :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Lasha said:
The Optical drive is an ATA drive so I think you can slave an HD on that bus. check www.xlr8yourmac.com their database probably has a report of someone trying this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
G5's are SATA, i can guarantee that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
jhelm007 said:
The Optical drive is an ATA drive so I think you can slave an HD on that bus. check www.xlr8yourmac.com their database probably has a report of someone trying this.

That's correct, yet I presume that by "bottom bay" Scottmatic actually meant the bay below the stock harddisk.

I suppose the G5 has any cables necessary to add a second harddisk, though I am not too sure, as SATA unlike ATA doesn't have two harddisks chained on on channel, means two drives need two seperate data cables. For the power cable I am pretty sure though that it must been equipped for the second drive...it should be a second connector that's in parallel to the power connector on the stock drive.

And don't worry about jumpers, SATA drives don't have or need to be set as Master, Slave or Cable Select.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Avalon said:
That's correct, yet I presume that by "bottom bay" Scottmatic actually meant the bay below the stock harddisk.

I suppose the G5 has any cables necessary to add a second harddisk, though I am not too sure, as SATA unlike ATA doesn't have two harddisks chained on on channel, means two drives need two seperate data cables. For the power cable I am pretty sure though that it must been equipped for the second drive...it should be a second connector that's in parallel to the power connector on the stock drive.

And don't worry about jumpers, SATA drives don't have or need to be set as Master, Slave or Cable Select.
The thread starter already bought a Parallel ATA133 drive, which if he wants to use it, will have to be attached to the ATA bus (you know the one that is connected to the super or combo (e.g. 'optical') drive). ATA133 drives do need to be jumpered to slave (the optical drive is the master). I found a report that says that this set-up works OK, but that burns from the HD to the optical drive are slowed down because of the shared bus.

Scottmatic, if you don't already have one you'll need a ribon cable that has two drive connectors. If you can return it, you might consider swapping the ATA133 drive for a SATA drive. This will be easier to install and give yu better performance. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
jhelm007 said:
The thread starter already bought a Parallel ATA133 drive, which if he wants to use it, will have to be attached to the ATA bus (you know the one that is connected to the super or combo (e.g. 'optical') drive). ATA133 drives do need to be jumpered to slave (the optical drive is the master). I found a report that says that this set-up works OK, but that burns from the HD to the optical drive are slowed down because of the shared bus.

Sorry, I thought he had bought a SATA drive. For ATA, you are correct of course, they need to be jumpered correctly.

And yes, having the optical drive in parallel with a HD will definitely slow down the HD.

OP
S

Scottmatic

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48520

apologies everyone, in my quickness to show everyone the hard drive id
bought id posted the wrong link, i bought a very similar model an 80 gb serial ATA (SATA) also by maxtor, i spoke to a local computer reseller and he told me that there is a cable on the right hand side of the drive bay, i cant find it. Ive been looking around for connection cables and found this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=49064

is this powercable all i need, the drive is sitting nicely in the bay all i need is the cable/s to connect it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.