iMac Tiger won't install Leopard.

Reaction score
I'm running Apple 10.4.11 on my iMac and last night I loaded the wrong install disk in an attempt to upgrade to Leopard. I'm not sure what disk is in there I bought it on Ebay. I was sent the wrong disk. It came with the manual on how to get an iMac started for the first time so I assume they just sold me the retail start-up version and not the upgrade. Now when I get past the language part of install it says "Max OS X can't be installed on this computer" "If you want to restore your system from a Time Machine backup, click "Restore from Backup" Then I have options to Restore from Backup or Restart.

Question: How do I get the CD out of the drive?
Question: Did this erase my hard drive from the iMac?
Question: What do I do once I get the CD out? I want to upgrade all the way to snow leopard and just need to know which CD to buy

I don't know a ton about this stuff, but would appreciate your help in any way. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What color is the disc?

I'm guessing it's gray. if so, it is model-specific. If it's not for your model, it won't work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We need so much more information...like what are the specs of your computer?

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
The disk was gray, leading me to the same conclusion that it's not my model. I believe this iMac is the 1.83GHz Intel 17-inch (Core Duo)

(MA199LL) 17-inch iMac Intel
Introduced January 10, 2006
Discontinued September 6, 2006
Part Number MA199LL
Processor 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
L2 Cache 2MB Shared
Frontside Bus 667MHz
Memory 512MB 667MHz DDR2
Hard drive 160GB Serial ATA, 7200 rpm
Optical drive 8x SuperDrive

These are the specs or very close (can't get on to check actual specs)

Thanks for the help fellas.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Question: How do I get the CD out of the drive?
Question: Did this erase my hard drive from the iMac?
Question: What do I do once I get the CD out? I want to upgrade all the way to snow leopard and just need to know which CD to buy

Thanks for the model info.

1. To get the CD out of the drive...there's a button on the keyboard in the upper right corner that has a triangle on it...push this button. Or...you can restart the computer, immediately press & hold the mouse button...and the disk should eject.

2. No...this should not have erased your HD.

3. Go to your nearest Apple Store...and purchase a $29 Snow Leopard install disk.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
You have to buy the mac box upgrade to upgrade from Tiger. Snow leopard on its own wont work or so Im told.

It costs about a hundred dollars or so.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You have to buy the mac box upgrade to upgrade from Tiger. Snow leopard on its own wont work or so Im told.

It costs about a hundred dollars or so.

Untrue. Apple wants you to buy the Mac Boxed Set, but there's nothing stopping you from using the $29 upgrade. You will need to format your HDD and do a clean install, but it's a very worthy upgrade.

Reaction score
ahhh is that so...? Well they fooled me lol

I dont wanna format though I just wanna upgrade, is that 29 dollar beauty ok for this...?

My macbookpro came with Tiger 10.4.11

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahhh is that so...? Well they fooled me lol

I dont wanna format though I just wanna upgrade, is that 29 dollar beauty ok for this...?

My macbookpro came with Tiger 10.4.11

Nope. You pretty much have to do a clean install (and the same would be true of the Mac Boxed Set, there is no direct upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6).

So, just make a backup using SuperDuper. Do your clean install. When it's finished, it will ask if you would like to run the Migration Assistant. Do it. Then, hook up your external HDD and Migration Assistant will pull all of your docs/data and settings over. What I would *not* recommend is to bring over all of your apps, as many will be outdated and could potentially cause issues with 10.6.

Reaction score
ahh ok mate thanks.

With the clean install I wouldnt need anything extra besides the cd's would I...?

I dont have any serials or original disks with me (although I think I can find the serial somewhere on my comp...?)

Cheers

P.S I think Ill do it with ccc as its free.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahh ok mate thanks.

With the clean install I wouldnt need anything extra besides the cd's would I...?

I dont have any serials or original disks with me (although I think I can find the serial somewhere on my comp...?)

Cheers

P.S I think Ill do it with ccc as its free.

If you pull the apps back over with Migration Assistant, then you'll be OK for the most part. But again, I'm not sure that I would recommend pulling over all of those apps (especially if they're old) as a lot of software had to be rewritten or updated to play nicely with 10.6.

Reaction score
Yeh Ive heard that.

There are only two programs Im pulling back over and they are Propellerhead Reason and Record.

They both required license keys to work/install, will these setting be affected at all...?

Wow macs really are so much easier than pc's once you get the hang of them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeh Ive heard that.

There are only two programs Im pulling back over and they are Propellerhead Reason and Record.

They both required license keys to work/install, will these setting be affected at all...?

Wow macs really are so much easier than pc's once you get the hang of them.

I'm honestly not sure. But I would definitely search for your keys and install media before you get started.

Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure. But I would definitely search for your keys and install media before you get started.

I actually found out that the programs I want can actually just be reinstalled with the same keys.

Ive backed up all the files I will need so the next step is to get over to the mac shop, buy the sleopard and start boogie-ing

Thanks man

Reaction score
Well it worked.

Now running the sleopard and it looks great, such a change from Tiger.

Installed Dreamweaver, Fireworks etc and with only 2g ram they start very quickly.

The only issue I have come across so far is that when running either of these applications the mouse pad seems to run a bit slower, you kinda have to put more effort into the push of the pointer.

I've adjusted the mouse pads settings but still quite slow. Is this is cpu issue, a well known occurence...?

Anyway thanks for helping me out the last few days guys. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.