How do I backup 'previous system' to cd-rw?

Reaction score
You don't.... As far as I know there is no way to activly backup a system to a CD or DVD without creating a backfile first and then burning that to a CD or DVD.

If you don't have enough space to backup to a local drive you will need to buy an external to accomplish it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It's the only option I have at the moment.
Do you mean you have a folder on your harddrive called "Previous system"? To be honest, you probably don't need it - but if you want to hang on to it, you can probably just drag it to a burn folder back it up that way if you really want.

But unless there is something you know you'll need off your old system, I'd just trash it.

Reaction score
Good point, the more I look at the OPs post the more I am confused as to what he/she is trying to achieve.

Can you post a little more info of what you want please?

OP
J
Reaction score
Sure, thanks for asking,

I had an issue the other day with the warning sign on startup (sorry for the lack of technical vocab)

It took a while but eventually the install disk worked. My HD is full-So imagine how worried I was. I know I know, I am going to get a new HD to backup a.s.a.p. But I want to backup now, so I thought I could use a CD-RW.

When I used the install CD, I chose 'backup and restore.'

1)I have that folder on my HD.

2) In shorter terms, I would like to backup my HD to CD-RW until I can get an external HD.

Sorry for asking two questions at once!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Much better option is to get a much larger drive and install internally and then pop your current drive into an external case. Best option is a Firewire 800 connection, however as you do not supply machine and OS details, a bit hard to be more specific.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.