trouble using Iphoto - please help

Reaction score
I'm not sure I should be using iPhoto to import my pictures. I also use a PC at work and often want to copy my folders to a pen drive. With iPhoto, I either have to drag each folder manually or export each folder, but in both cases it is altering the date of the picture from when it was taken to when it was exported. Am I doing it wrong? Is there any way to export pictures from iPhoto keeping the original date? Thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Not 100% sure re date change but possibly the date change is reflecting the last time the file was accessed rather than when the actual photo was taken.

If you are using both a Mac and PC for viewing photos and just want to transfer them form one to another, why not just copy the photos you want from your photo / pictures folder on the Mac to USB stick then from there to the photo folder or where ever you want on the PC and visa versa this way you should defiantly not see a date change.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks ! I actually don't have an organized pictures folder because I import directly into iPhoto, so all I see is the iPhoto library. when I copy/paste or drag from iPhoto is when the date changes...

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks so much chas_m. Real time saver. I was seriously considering quitting iPhoto altogether...

Do you have any tips on backuping videos? Is it OK to download straight to iMovie? If so, what's the best way to back up the files?

Thanks again !

C

chas_m

Time Machine takes care of all the backups for you. You ARE running Time Machine to an external drive RIGHT? :)

Reaction score
Guys,
Struggling to understand where all my photo duplicates are coming from and how Iphoto handles them.
I assume that all photos are held in normal folders in finder and you have to import them to Iphoto? Does this duplicate them in finder?
If I need to remove duplicates should I be working wuth finder?

Sorry very confused at this end. :)

Mike

C

chas_m

iPhoto contains its own "vault" for photos which, unless you've turned this function off in iPhoto, copies everything imported into it.

So if you have a bunch of photos in iPhoto AND folders in finder, you can trash the folders. They are now duplicates.

iPhoto's "vault" (library) is actually very easy to work with but relies heavily on ONE "golden rule" -- DO NOT mess with the internal assets of the iPhoto Library!!

When using iPhoto, the important thing to remember is that everything you may want to do to your photos can easily be done -- but only from WITHIN iPhoto. Need a copy of a picture? Open iPhoto, drag selected photo to desktop. Boom, you're done!

Need to work on a photo in, say, Photoshop? Set the preference for "external editors" in iPhoto, double click on a selected picture, BOOM Photoshop opens the photo. You edit, save and close Photoshop -- BOOM the updated picture is back in iPhoto.

You get the idea.

Reaction score
Thats very helpful thanks. To be sure though I would like to remove all the duplicates in my finder folders, back them up and switch to Iphoto. I know this has been asked a million times but to find duplicates in Finder folders what the best app or process to use.

Thanks,

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thats very helpful thanks. To be sure though I would like to remove all the duplicates in my finder folders, back them up and switch to Iphoto. I know this has been asked a million times but to find duplicates in Finder folders what the best app or process to use.

Thanks,

Mike

"Find Duplicate Files" from Araxis works well for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.