Sold my MBP 15'' and got me a 13'' air

Reaction score
So as you can read in the title, I got a new macbook air, what are some programs every mac user needs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Congratulations, fine machine the new MBA.
Apart from not overseeing the Apple bundled applications,
1Password - A must have for me, can't imagine using the web without this. Slightly expensive but once you use it you'll wonder why you didn't earlier.
VLC - Jack-of-all-codecs video player
TrashMe - First rate application and related files deleter.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeps, I got all those, those I knew. Any special things that I should get or shall I wait till the app store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I did the same thing, going from a 15" 2.4 Ghz i5 MBP to a 2.13 C2D MBA. I couldn't be happier. There are a ton of Mac apps so I'll let someone else rattle off the usual suspects. But, specific to the MBA I'd recommend:
Click-to-Flash: plugin for Safari to stop annoying Flash from sucking up CPU cycles
Coolbook: underclocking utility if it runs hot. Needed on previous MBAs but not so much on the current generation
Applejack: good to clean up the system every so often
iStat Menus: great all around for seeing what your system is doing especially if you run a VM and want to keep track of RAM, etc...
Wine: run some Windows programs somewhat decently without allocating resources to a whole VM operating system. Works best with Internet Explorer and simple well established Windows apps.

Have fun!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So as you can read in the title, I got a new macbook air, what are some programs every mac user needs?

What programs were you using on the MacBook Pro you just sold???...they would work just as well on a MacBook Air.:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Basically the ones listed, and I already downloaded them, minus hand brake. =P

Reaction score
I am realllllly tempted to do the same... sell my MBP 13" and go to MBAir 13". I'm kind of a data hoarder (290GB in music and 100GB video on my HDD at the moment), so I really need to find a way to downsize and streamline if I want to make the dive. Sigh.

Anyways, how do you like the transition?

OP
C
Reaction score
I love it, the MBA is much faster because of the SSD, Photoshop CS5 Opens in about 3 seconds compared to 12 seconds on the 15inch. If you dont have ilife 11 it is VERY VERY nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
AH Click to flash is great!! Thanks!

As a possible alternative, you could ignore installing Flash completely and just use Chrome if you actually need it, since it comes built-in. Then you wouldn't need to bother with Click to Flash.

Even with the recent update Adobe made to Flash, I still find watching a Youtube video the one thing, apart from watching HD video, that sets the fans screaming on my MacBook. You can click an option to watch many videos in HTML5 on their website. Plus many websites are less cluttered without Flash.

If you need to eke out all your battery, it's what I did. But then I usually need as much battery as possible from my machine.

John Gruber explaining it better!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.