broken ibook combo drive!!! HELP.

B

benlhoward

Hi there,

The combo drive on the ibook i have just from ebay is not working. It will not see any discs, audio, data, cd, dvd or anything i have thrown at it!

I have sent it back to the ebayer and he says it worked and sent it back with a screenshot of the system profiler! I knew it saw the drive before i sent it back.

When i got it back no cd/dvd loads still. Nothing seems to happen,you can hear the drive spin and make a bit of noise for a few seconds then nothing. I have checked all the settings i can think of (ie. show cds/dvds in finder). I also tried a lens cleaning disc but this cannot been recognised either!!!

I have also tried booting from the disc but nothing happens! Cant even do a hardware test!

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone has some more suggestions other than send it back as i am happy with my new toy, appart from this!

O yeah its a g3 600mghz 20gb, 384mb ram, osx panther.

Will be very thankfull for any help.

Thanks

OP
T

Tel

Ask the seller to troubleshoot you, get him to run you step by step what he did to get it working, try a couple of CD's and when it still doesn't work (if this is still the case) prove it to him and get him to sort it out.

OP
B

benlhoward

Thanks for that but when he emailed me all he said he did was put a dvd in and it saw it! He also said he booted from the cd!

O and i also attached a firewire external cd burner and it saw the cd i had in there!

Just wondering if there is anything else i can try?

Thanks again.

OP
B

benlhoward

having found these tips i followed the advice and like many had no luck!

i am still left with a broken ibook, can i run a hardware test from an external firewire cd drive?

or copy the needed files from my imac? or anything else?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.