Help: PowerBook Won't Wake!

J

jessica

I have an 15” PowerBook 1.67 with 1 gig ram. I got it on March 1st this year. Since then I’ve had it at school, work and home. Primarily home of course. Usually it’s plugged into the external power source. Every so often I’ll unplug it and let it drain so I can keep the battery as conditioned as possible.

This may have been the wrong thing to do, but I’ve done it. Using an external display I will have the PowerBook lid shut. I’ll unplug it from the PowerBook and it’ll just keep working of course. I can put the PowerBook to sleep using a shortcut (apple, option, eject) on my keyboard and then wake again by press of any key on the keyboard or move of the mouse.

Last night my PowerBook was registering at 95% power---plugged in. The plug was green. I had not run it down for nearly 2 weeks. I thought it was time, so I unplugged it—while on (using an external display). The mouse disappeared and then suddenly went to sleep. I moved the mouse, pressed every key on the keyboard---nothing. Worried, I plugged it back in and rebooted. Tried everything again—same issues. Then I shut down and booted. Same thing. To reboot of course I had opened the lid and powered up. Having the external display on, I then unplugged it from it’s power source and then shut the lid. Nothing would wake this thing and the monitor would go to sleep as well (like the other times).

In short, while using the PowerBook I could unplug it from the wall while on and continue to work. Now, it puts itself to sleep and won’t wake up unless I give it external power again.

I am not sure what’s up. Is this a problem for Apple to look at?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Just a guess here. But if it works plugged into the wall and does not work when unplugged. I would say it might be the battery.

There is a way I believe that you can recalibrate the battery (something about power manager). Hopefully someone will come along and give a hand. :)

OP
J

jessica

PMU and PRAM reset did not work. I'm transferring files right now so it can go to apple. Unfortunately, if they need to keep it I will have to protest because I have a paper to write this weekend and I'd like not to mess with my windows machine in trying to reinstall office.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.