External CD case for a Hard Drive?

L

lokerd

Hello. I have a 80gb drive I just got for a server. Unfortunately, the server, a G3 was not up to the task, so I switched it to a eMac (g4).

Point is, now I have a drive that I need to put in a case as a firewire drive. But it is not coming up. I am using a external CDRW case that I took the drive out of. Shouldn't this work? Or is there something special I need to do?

I am planning on getting another external case, so I can return the CDRW to it's case...but I need this drive on line now.

Thanks!

Drew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
it should work if its an IDE case with an IDE drive. you can try using Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities) and see if it just needs to be reformatted.... os x should tell you it needs to be initialized once you plug it in if it isnt already formatted.

OP
L

lokerd

MacAddikt said:
it should work if its an IDE case with an IDE drive. you can try using Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities) and see if it just needs to be reformatted.... os x should tell you it needs to be initialized once you plug it in if it isnt already formatted.

Well, I must have fried the drive. I went to switch from OS 10 to OS9 (two different partitions) and then the computer would not come up. I have had a problem with that before because of the scsi drive inside...which had to be disconnected. (This is when the drive was still in the G3.) But I couldn't get the drive to come up for anything. I booted with different boot disk, different jumper settings. Then I moved the disk to the drive case...and it wouldn't come up under OS9 or 10.

Does it sound like I messed the drive up?

Thanks!
Drew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Hmm, are you trying to install a SCSI drive into an IDE enclosure? Or am I reading that wrong?

OP
L

lokerd

Emrys said:
Hmm, are you trying to install a SCSI drive into an IDE enclosure? Or am I reading that wrong?

No, it is definately a IDE case...it has a CDRW in it that I took out just to put the hard drive in it. I know the case was working prior to taking the CD out. I may have toasted the drive...unfortunately. I don't have any current drive utilites...everything I have is from 6+ years ago and is for SCSI. Do you have any recommendations for software? Anything that is freeware or shareware that I could use in the mean time while I work on a PO from the school?

Thanks!
Drew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but is the HD SCSI or IDE? See what I'm sayin?

OP
L

lokerd

Ooops. Sorry, it is definately a IDE drive....80gb, 7200rpm, 8mb cache...brand new. I don't know what happened. I just went to change the boot partition from 10 to 9, and then neither would come up. I am about to give up and just reinistilze the drive in the morning...it is just frustrating because the data seems to still be on the drive...I just can't get it to mount.

And the case might be just fine...as the drive is definately messed up.

Any idea what might have gone wrong when I changed partitions?

Thanks!

Drew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you put the drive in the G3, network the two machines, move the data over, and THEN initialize the disk?

OP
L

lokerd

Emrys said:
Can you put the drive in the G3, network the two machines, move the data over, and THEN initialize the disk?

I tried just about every combination of that drive in the case, in the G3, by itself, with other dirve, booting from 9, 10, etc. It must have had one messed up directory. I toss in the white towel today and reiniatilized.

Interestingly, the drive still will not work in the FIrewire case that had a CDRW in it. I am going to assume that there is something about the case that will not accomdate a simple drive and just buy an external case for the drive. Any suggestions on case brand, etc.?

Drew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the one I own : http://www.adstech.com/products/DLX185/intro/DLX185intro.asp?pid=DLX185

It has both FireWire400 and USB2 interfaces. So you will have the ability to use it basically anywhere.

Mine works flawlessly. I can boot off of it, and it is quiet. 2 Thumbs up from me...

Oh yeah, it's a little bit on the large side, but that is a benefit, because their is more air circulation inside for the drive.

OP
L

lokerd

Emrys said:

Thanks for the reply. I was just about to post a question about Firewire vs. USB 2.0...and I saw that this thread had a new reply to it...but didn't get notification,, strangely. Then I learned that the eMac has only 1.1, and right at the same time, I read your note and knew that it was the answer!

Cool. I am working up the PO on it right now.

Thanks!
Drew

OP
L

lokerd

Emrys said:
This is the one I own : http://www.adstech.com/products/DLX185/intro/DLX185intro.asp?pid=DLX185

It has both FireWire400 and USB2 interfaces.

Hello. I have been trying to get this case to work. I just got in the second item in and it does not work either.

The 80gb drive is coming up when using a USB connection, but not a firewire connection. I have tried it on 3 different computers. I do not know what else to try. Could the drive be bad?

I have called ADS tech support...they recommended another case. The 2nd case did exactly the same thing.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Drew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.