Pleade help identify this macbook pro part

Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a late 08 Macbook Pro for helping him with various other computers. The hard drive was pulled and its not clear what the problem was.

I found the connector on the board glued to the top of the left speaker housing was broken where its soldered. its circled in this picture here as well as the connector and where it plugs into the logic board.

Searched the part number on it with no luck.. What is this??

whatisthis.jpg

OP
I
Reaction score
The airport card is right below that the (silver box) the antenna connectors run just to the left of this in the channel in the plastic speaker mount.

its a small board shaped almost like the state of California on a map. it has a 4 wire 4 pin connector the plugs into the connection (starting from top left) of the logic board its 4 down. 4 pin white connector. the wires are broken are taped to the top of the left fan.

on the back it looks like a pn: apple 820-2208-a? its very hard to see w/o a magnifying glass

just an update on this, the free macbook pro powers up. have to put it together and see what it does, or doesn't do rather. lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That little board right above the Airport Extreme card is an Ambient Light sensor board. I have the service manual here for your MBP.

OP
I
Reaction score
That little board right above the Airport Extreme card is an Ambient Light sensor board. I have the service manual here for your MBP.

Thank you! That explains why that half of the keyboard is dark, I figured the led's were dead. that explains the little window in the top of the sharp chip. I had never seen anything like that before in a computer.
:Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.