• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help needed with raw .264 files

Reaction score
I have a dvd with a video consisting of raw .264 files (not h.264). Does anyone know how to convert this into something - anything - I can play? I'm running 10.6.4.

Thanks very much for any help.

Reaction score
You can probably play the file as-is in VLC. No conversion necessary.

C

chas_m

H.264 is a native QuickTime format. It will play in ANY Mac app that supports video.

I'm not clear on whether you have a DVD *data* disc with an H.264 file on it or what, but simply opening any video tool on a Mac (QuickTime Player, for example) should play it just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Late 2015 4GHz
Rubbish. It's .264 format NOT h.264

Security systems use a containerless format called .264 which is not the same nor interchangeable with mp4, h264 or m4v, avi, etc.
You'll need the security system's proprietary codec converter to convert this to mp4, which is the best choice for the least lossy conversion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.