Older iMac with Snow Leopard hangs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.7 GHz 12GB Ram Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB
I have an iMac, model 6,1 with Snow Leopard, that occasionally hangs. I might click on an application (iPhoto for example) in the dock and the icon expands and it stops right there or when an application first starts, its window is displayed on the screen but never gets completely filled and it hangs there. Can't force quit because the keyboard and mouse are inoperable. BTW, both keyboard and mouse are wireless. Only solution so far is to power off and power on. Then it runs fine for several days. I have run disk Utility and it indicates the disk is OK.
Has anyone else seen this condition?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The symptoms you describe can possibly be attributed to bad or failing memory or a problem with the graphics processor.

Perform the Apple Hardware Test with your original install recovery DVD that you received with your iMac. Run the extended tests. There is also the free MemTest for OS X which you can download from here.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.7 GHz 12GB Ram Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB
Thanks chscag.
Tried both suggestions. No problems found. Don't know about the video card. I've had no visible problems with it though, so I think it is OK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.