ipod touch made a phone call

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
older ipod, ipod touches 3 &4, older imac, imac 19 inch osx. love them all.
I'm new to my ipod touch 4th generation. havent messed around with it too much until today;

added the app textfree lite

made a few practice texts -- it worked

THEN ACCIDENTLY hit some button and it said "CALL" so i called my own home phone and that worked!!!

am i missing something?? can you use this as a free phone where there's wifi??? is this common knowledge?? i pretty pumped!

please comment on this!!! your knowledge & experiences & etc to make sure i'm not racking up huge fines somewhere -- or whatever!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
So long as you have headphones with a microphone, I'd say yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
wavinwayne is right, there are many apps that allow you to call and text as long as you are connected to Wi-Fi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" LED iMac
Yea as the aboves said, you can use VoIP with the iPods. Pretty Cool.

~Joe

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
older ipod, ipod touches 3 &4, older imac, imac 19 inch osx. love them all.
i tried it again; whatever app i was using has a limit on minutes to talk; i'll need to look into it.

however, this is pretty cool! you're right! now -- to find places with free wifi.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
am i missing something?? can you use this as a free phone where there's wifi??? is this common knowledge?? i pretty pumped!

Yupp...fairly common knowledge that you can make phone calls with your iPod Touch. It's just like any "Voice Over IP" device...such as a computer or even a person's home phone using a service like Vonage.

Of course you cannot make phone calls with the iPod Touch if you're not near a WiFi hotspot.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I'm new to my ipod touch 4th generation. havent messed around with it too much until today;

added the app textfree lite

made a few practice texts -- it worked

THEN ACCIDENTLY hit some button and it said "CALL" so i called my own home phone and that worked!!!

please comment on this!!! your knowledge & experiences & etc to make sure i'm not racking up huge fines somewhere -- or whatever!

The 4th gen has a built in mic. It's easier to hear with headphones in, but yes. I use the app iCall - it's ad supported calling provided you have a phone number you can use to verify it with. Some places might have it blocked with proxies, but yea. Assuming the bandwidth doesn't suck. Right now, I am using my ipod as a phone from home because my cell phone bit the dust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D, 4GB DDR3, 9400m - 4th gen ipod touch
I bought minutes for TextFree on my iPod 4th gen. 250 mins for 5 bucks, 1000 for 10 bucks! Call clarity is sweet, texting is free, and they give you your own number. Pretty cool. Works great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
*wrong thread. Mods, please delete*

Reaction score
Or you can use Mi-Fi (Mobile Wi-Fi) which works like a portable hot-spot so long as you are in a network's coverage area.

I have a couple of them here in the UK - one is locked to the "3" network, the other is unlocked and which I use mainly with Vodafone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
Just wondering, does anyone know of an app where texting and minutes are unlimited and free? Even a paid app will do...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.