***cannot delete linux partition! Please help!***

Reaction score
Ill make this simple. If you have any advice please share.
Here is what I did that lead to the issue.

Attempted to install Linux Ubuntu

I shutdown the computer before Linux was done installing.

When I come to the boot screen (where i pick which partition to boot in) I still have my mac and windows option.

From Disk Utilities I have this listed

250 GB TOSHIBA....
disk0s1
Macintosh HD
BOOTCAMP
disk0s4

When I click the "partition tab" I do not know which drive I need to click on.

Here is the strange part...

No matter which partition I click on the + and - button never becomes an option. I can never click it.

I already went through bootcamp and it gave me this message
The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

Please provide any advice you can. I do NOT want to restore my Leopard Software. Only remove the partition so I can start all over with Installing Ubuntu.

Regards,
Christian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From your post I'm not sure what it is you've done. One thing is for sure and that is you can not use Boot Camp if you have more than one partition on the drive.

Have you tried to boot from your Leopard DVD and use Disk Utility to remove the Linux partition? Keep in mind that if you were installing Ubuntu and quit before the installation was completed, changes may have been made to the drive and boot sector.

Can you verify that you're able to boot into OS X and Windows OK?

And some advice: Unless there is some compelling reason to run Ubuntu natively from its own partition, it's much easier to use the free VirtualBox VM software and run Ubuntu from a VM. Too may folks have gotten into trouble trying to install Linux on their Mac.

Reaction score
OK this might work

If it's Linux Swap you want to get rid of then boot into the Linux Live disk and remove the partition there.

For me at least if you then boot up in Mac OS X and then see a mounted partition called disk0s1 or something like that leave it alone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.