powerpc g5 quad late 2005 dual monitor problem

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a powerpc G5 quad (late 2005) with OS X Leopard 10.5.8
- 4,5 gb ram
- one WD 2 TB hdd and one WD 500GB hdd
- one geforce 6600 256 mb in the pci-e x 16 slot and one geforce 6600 256mb in the pci-e x8 slot
- one apple cinema display with adc to dvi on my x16 geforce 6600 and one Dell 17" flatscreen on the second x8 geforce 6600 card

When I work on one monitor only, everything works perfect and fast. but when i connect the second monitor to my second geforce 6600 card in the x8 slot working with extended desktop, it goes slower and especially when i have my adobe programs open and when i press the exposé keys to show all my programs.

Is this a hardware problem or is this cause os x leopard works slower on a ppc than on intel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to tell you ADC/DVI is old, old technology and this slows down, and even prevents booting to some extent. This was introduced back in about 2002 to connect CRT/LCD displays to DVI port only graphic cards such as the then faster ATI Radeon 9800, 9600 etc. Even using a single monitor on my previous Dual Core through ADC/DVI adapter, boot times tripled, boot from DiskWarrior and AHT became impossible.

The mains powered adapters are now getting long in the tooth and do not work as near as well as when new ~ heat and time I guess. I also tried the second card in the 8x slot and could only ever get 50% performance at the best.

Have you tried borrowing a second DVI monitor and using that? Also one big problem is that slow old graphics card. Found the ATI Radeon X1900GT with 512MB memory worked much, much better.

OP
M
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to tell you ADC/DVI is old, old technology and this slows down, and even prevents booting to some extent. This was introduced back in about 2002 to connect CRT/LCD displays to DVI port only graphic cards such as the then faster ATI Radeon 9800, 9600 etc. Even using a single monitor on my previous Dual Core through ADC/DVI adapter, boot times tripled, boot from DiskWarrior and AHT became impossible.

The mains powered adapters are now getting long in the tooth and do not work as near as well as when new ~ heat and time I guess. I also tried the second card in the 8x slot and could only ever get 50% performance at the best.

Have you tried borrowing a second DVI monitor and using that? Also one big problem is that slow old graphics card. Found the ATI Radeon X1900GT with 512MB memory worked much, much better.

i'll check it out with another dvi monitor and see if that's better, but my main screen is an apple cinema display (and old one maybe yes, but i love it, it is way better than some other monitors to my opinion) and i don't really have problems with that geforce 6600 as i'm not doing video editing or gaming things. i just want it to run as fast as normal with one monitor and with os x leopard, not tiger.
so maybe it would help to get more ram and maybe a new dvi monitor?

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.