MBP Keyboard won't "turn back on"

Reaction score
Hi all,

I spilled beer on my keyboard a couple of days ago, and thankfully, the only thing that is (or seems to be) broken is the keyboard. A couple of the keys don't work, and a few other ones will randomly input a character. I entered the following terminal command to disable the keyboard so I could work on an external:
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyboard.kext/

I thought that this would re-enable it:
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyboard.kext/

But it's not working. I feel really dumb entering an administrator command without knowing how it works. Do any of you know what is going on with that command? I plan to take it to a reseller in my area to get the keyboard replaced, or I might do it myself. Do you think the reseller knows how to "restart" the keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Restarting the computer should AFIK reenable the keyboard kext.
Also what kind of external keyboard are you using? I don't know one external keyboard that requires that the internal is disabled.

OP
T
Reaction score
Restarting doesn't work. I disabled the keyboard because it would periodically type something that i didnt want and a few keys didnt work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And after spilling beer on it, probably the logic board as well as it is a laptop alas. Beer is pretty corrosive, potent stuff with all that sugar in it. No comment on the advisability of drinking beer whilst using a laptop, however have a rad through this:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

Also enter 'spilled beer' on the search engine at the top of the page and see similar problems and outcomes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.