Wifi very slow in OS X but not Ubuntu?

Reaction score
Wifi download speeds in OS X are incredibly slow. according to speedtest.net i only get about 1.5 to 2 megabits. I say OS X because i have Ubuntu installed via bootcamp and the download speeds in ubuntu are about 10 megabits.

i just recently noticed the problem. is this a known issue, and is there any fix? I cant even watch a youtube video because it only plays for about 10 seconds before it stops to buffer again.

Reaction score
wifi slow

I'm having the same issue. I can't watch any youtube videos or even download the software updates. it says it'll take like one day to finish.

I did the speedtest thing and only have about to 2 megabites or something.
I'm not vary computer savy so I don't really know what any of that means. I had my cousin help me.

Most web pages even takes a while to DL. I'm used my Compaq labtop which is basically dead but it can open pages faster so I know the connection is good.

I called tech support and he helped me a little bit and just told me to go to a wifi hot spot and see if it's any faster. I was able to watch youtube a little faster but still unable to DL the software update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm also new to Mac so navigating is kinda hard.

Specs: MBP 13.3 4gb/250HD 2.4Ghz Running 10.6.3 os

OP
C
Reaction score
I tried deleting the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder and rebooting. that helped a little bit, i now get around 4 megabits with speedtest.net. but thats far from the 10 megabits I should be getting.

OP
C
Reaction score
actually it appears the problem lies with my router. after logging back into ubuntu the problem exists there as well, as well as on my android phone.

Reaction score
I did go to Starbucks tonight to see if it was faster like the tech had said and the youtube vids were a little faster but I was still unable to download the software update because it said 2 hrs and I wasn't going to sit there.

My PS3 and old comp do not have the same problem even tho my old comp is a piece of &*^#. And my roommates Toshiba labtop have no problems except for youtube, but youtube does always have problems.

Other forums I go to it takes for ever to load the pics that are posted.

I'm just waiting to contact the apple store and see what they say. But I'm very disappointed with my new mac. I was expecting to have any problems.

With Macs do you guys suggest any Anti virus software or anything?

I just did the speed test again since I guess last time it didn't complete but here are the results

DL= 0.82 Mb/s
UL=0.89 Mb/s
Ping=28ms

What do you guys think?

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.