powermac g3 blue and white.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
Hi all,
I have just recently got my hands on an old powermac g3 and I got it for £6.50. I mainly bought it cause I heard that it can take up to 3 hard drives. Now. I wanted to install 3 different types of OS. I was thinking 9(which I haven't got), 10.2 and I was thinking linux or windows. But I wasn't sure if this mac could support linux or windows. And when I first booted it I have booted from disk and it was fine up until I had to choose which drive it was and there were none to choose from. And I had to try and do it quickly cause I bought this without my parents knowing. So it could have just been me trying to rush. Also does anyone know where I can get cheap secondhand software for the mac apart from eBay? :) any help will be appreciated!

Thanks all!
Jack Rose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Forget Windows as the only program is Virtual PC and on a G3 is as slow as slow to be worthless. And there is no such thing as cheap second hand software anywhere. TRake your chances on eBay.

Reaction score
You can run a PPC version of Linux. I know where a whole stack of Mac Addict CDs are at a thrift store for OS9...look at a Thrift stores or rummage sales for old software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to the world of multi-drive PPC. I too have a G3 b/w tower (see my specs), and it works admirably with both OS X and OS 9. Don't try to go beyond Panther for X, and you will need an OS 9.2 Install disk for the other drive. You can add a third SCSI drive if you really want to.

Search with Google for older Mac software, eg. Old Version for Mac Downloads - OldApps.com.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Welcome to the world of multi-drive PPC. I too have a G3 b/w tower (see my specs), and it works admirably with both OS X and OS 9. Don't try to go beyond Panther for X, and you will need an OS 9.2 Install disk for the other drive. You can add a third SCSI drive if you really want to.

Search with Google for older Mac software, eg. Old Version for Mac Downloads - OldApps.com.

Hugh, I live dangerously I guess! :D I have Tiger on my B&W G3 350 with 768 Megs RAM. I agree Panther is better for it though and a lot cheaper to purchase! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Hugh, I live dangerously I guess! :D I have Tiger on my B&W G3 350 with 768 Megs RAM. I agree Panther is better for it though and a lot cheaper to purchase! :D

I read online somewhere that the B&W had 2 different motherboard types. Revision 1 and Rev. 2. It said that Rev. 2 could handle tiger fairly well, while Rev.1 seem to crash and burn with it. :)

I agree. 350 Mhz seems like a little too slow to handle Tiger.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Macdood, mine is a Rev 2. Since I only use the B&W to mess with, tiger runs quite well actually. I have a Rev 1 but never tried Tiger on it and after what you just said, probably never will! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Macdood, mine is a Rev 2. Since I only use the B&W to mess with, tiger runs quite well actually. I have a Rev 1 but never tried Tiger on it and after what you just said, probably never will! :D

Macdood? ;D LOL But yeah, probably not a good idea to run Tiger on it. :p

Reaction score
Revision 1 and Rev. 2. Its more to do with IDE and support for second hard drives and being able to upgrade the CPU. The issue was fixed with Rev.2.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac SK is totally correct. That was the only real difference between a Rev 1 and Rev 2 board in a B&W G3. On the Rev 2 they also included a Dual Drive bracket as the Rev 1's had issues with Dual IDE drives also. I have one Rev one here that corrupted data on a 20GB Seagate drive!!!

Here is a URL that tells all the changes.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/newfeatures.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.