Macbook Hinge Tightening

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, if you want to do the job right. Hinge replacement or tightening is fairly involved as you're finding out. The folks at ifixit have the best instructions for step by step repairs.

OP
S
Reaction score
Will the Macbook Pro version work for a regular Macbook? There isn't really a step-by-step for just a macbook that I can find. I have found a youtube video for the pro, which is why I'm asking. I have a Macbook Core 2 Duo. Purchased Jan 2008.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The link you provided is the iFixit Macbook tutorial!

OP
S
Reaction score
The link you provided is the iFixit Macbook tutorial!

For installing hinges, not necessarily tightening them. Some things require more work, which I didn't know if it was in this case.

No need for the exclamation point, I am not as computer savy as some people, and just want to be sure I have the right information before tearing into something and messing it up. We are talking about an $1100 item here, and I can't drop that much on a replacement if something does happen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For installing hinges, not necessarily tightening them. Some things require more work, which I didn't know if it was in this case.

As I hinted to you in my first post, hinge tightening is a difficult repair job and usually involves replacing the hinges. As you go through the ifixit step by step, you'll see that there really isn't a way to make them tight.

If your machine was under warranty, that is exactly what the Apple techs would do; replace them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I didn't mean any offence with the exclamation mark.
Was just responding to your question when you asked if you could use a Macbook Pro tutorial.

Here is another option other than Apple if it is out of warranty, and Apple quotes a ridiculous price for the service.
13" MacBook 24 Hour Hinge Repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.