New iMac slow?

Reaction score
I bought a new 2.93 i7 iMac in September. It seems like it takes longer than it should to start up. And from time to time it seems like it is having a hard time doing things and I have to restart. I used to own an old dual 1.8 powerpc G5 tower and decided it was time to upgrade assuming that this computer would be faster. Do you think there is a problem with this machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I bought a new 2.93 i7 iMac in September. It seems like it takes longer than it should to start up. And from time to time it seems like it is having a hard time doing things and I have to restart. I used to own an old dual 1.8 powerpc G5 tower and decided it was time to upgrade assuming that this computer would be faster. Do you think there is a problem with this machine?

Nvm, 7200 RPM drives are standard.

I would run Disk Utility / Onyx to make sure everything is ok with the drive first

OP
F
Reaction score
I went to Applications > utilities > Disk Utility selected my hard drive and clicked repair disk. Supposedly everything is fine. Not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing with disk utility. But it really does take way too long to boot up, I haven't timed it but I can if you want that info. And sometimes it just lags, I type relatively fast and for example if I am googling something it will only register one letter at a time super slowly and I have to restart.

Is this a memory issue? Do I need more memory (I have 4 GB)? I would rather not have to bring it to the "genius bar".

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a new 2.93 i7 iMac in September. It seems like it takes longer than it should to start up.

Sometimes when you restart a Macintosh running OS X...the OS starts doing some "self-maintenance" when you restart. You can verify this by listening to your computer after you restart it...since you can hear the hard drive doing a lot of reading & writing.

And from time to time it seems like it is having a hard time doing things and I have to restart.

As far as this slowness. If you've been:

- using your computer for a LONG time without restarting (days & days or weeks & weeks without a restart)
- all that opening & closing of various programs
- all of the internet surfing & e-mailing
- and everything else you may be doing

...the way I explain it is...the computer starts to get "confused"...and a restart sort of resets or cleans everything up.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB
I had the same problem mate! DO NOT DO WHAT THE OTHER GUYS SAID FIRST!!!!!

Open System Preferences > Startup Disk > Select the Macintosh HD > Click restart it will boot up quick as ever!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.