migrating from PPC

Reaction score
My G5 PPC mac just died- not the drive(s), it seems to be something to do with the ram slots on board- as far as I can tell, all my drives are fine. I'm waiting for a new Mac Pro to arrive. Since the PPC won't boot, I'm assuming I can't firewire the two macs together to migrate over. Can I put my old system drive in the new mac and migrate from it internally?
thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm assuming I can't firewire the two macs together to migrate over. Can I put my old system drive in the new mac and migrate from it internally?
thanks

You could put your G5's hard drives in an external case & connect via USB...or you could just install your G5's drives right into the Mac Pro (the Mac Pro can hold up to 4 drives).

One thing to be aware of...some of your PPC applications may not run in the new Mac Pro. The Mac Pro (as hopefully you know)...has Intel cpu's & will be running OS 10.6 Snow Leopard...so there most likely will be some software incompatibility issues (you just got to see what works & what doesn't).

Also...don't expect to be able to boot the new Mac Pro from your old G5's hard drive(s)...the Mac Pro won't boot from the OS you had on your G5.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
The plan is to put the PPC drives into the new intel G5, I just wasn't sure if migration assistant required a FW connection to another computer or if it can work directly off a connected drive.

My business macs are all newer intel, so luckily I have updated versions of most apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is not an Intel G5. Either it is a G5 which are all PowerPC (PPC) machines, or it is an Intel machine. All Mac Pros are Intel.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have done a migrate from an external drive many times. Never tried it off another drive inside a Mac though, but since it works from an external, it should work.

I just pointed the Migration Assistant to the external drive and it did it's job.

Reaction score
If it's Power Mac G5 tower and you are interested in a full motherboard to swap out, I would sell you one for cheap. I have a "parts" Power Mac G5.... no RAM included, but the board does work and I can include the two G5 2.0ghz procs if you need those, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If it's Power Mac G5 tower and you are interested in a full motherboard to swap out, I would sell you one for cheap. I have a "parts" Power Mac G5.... no RAM included, but the board does work and I can include the two G5 2.0ghz procs if you need those, too.
This is not a place for buy/sell/trade.
If you are wishing to PM the OP, that is the way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.