Harddisk or software or virus/

Reaction score
I have an iMac, 4 years old. OS X 10.6.4 Snow Leopard. I get stuck in various stages of working with it: sometimes after 15 minutes, sometimes even when starting up. The coloured spinning wheel appears and nothing happens, nothing works anymore. I ran Disc-repair and it said I had nothing wrong with my harddisk. I tried to re-install Snow Leopard, but it would n't work. Now I formatted the harddisk and tried to re-install Snow Leopard, but that wouldn't work either. So I installed Tiger and that worked as it should. When I tried to install Snow Leopard then, it wouldn't work again, so now I am installing Leopard and I hope I'll be able to install Snow Leopard after that. Fortunately I have a copy of all my work in Time Machine.
Has anybody had this problem before? Is it a problem in the software, the harddisk o a virus. ClamXav came up clean. The problem remained with all Airport turned off and the firewall on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like the hard drive is on the way out. it is not a virus ~ no viruses for Mac OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.